Thurlow Nunn League: Gorleston set up Vase date against March

Action from Fakenham Town's Thurlow Nunn League clash with Godmanchester Rovers at Clipbush Park. Ma

Action from Fakenham Town's Thurlow Nunn League clash with Godmanchester Rovers at Clipbush Park. Matt Franks went close with this effort for the home side. Picture: Ian Burt - Credit: Ian Burt

Gorleston made comfortable progress through to the second qualifying round of the Vase where March Town Utd will be the visitors.

Gorleston dominated the opening 20 minutes against Wisbech St Mary, keeping the ball well with a couple of sighters.

After 33 minutes Liam Brown drove into the box and drilled the ball straight at the goalkeeper. The ball rebounded back to Brown who prodded goalwards but it bounced agonisingly off the base of the far post.

It was only a temporary reprieve for the visitors. A minute later Joel Watts got in on the left and drilled the ball hard and low across the six yard box. It evaded a lunging defender and fell to Kyle Ingram who fired it into the roof of the net.

The second half continued the pattern of Gorleston possession and the introduction of 'new' signing Jack Garrod after ten minutes saw some pace and directness added to the Greens play.

You may also want to watch:

With 69 minutes gone Garrod drove into the box. McManus lunged in and sent Garrod flying through the air and referee Mary Harmer, pointed to the spot.

Keegan Middleton stepped up to drill the ball into the bottom corner and seal his side's victory.

Most Read

Great Yarmouth joined their east coast neighbours in the second qualifying round as they beat Bourne Town 3-0 at home.

Lee Roots put the Bloaters ahead on 13 minutes and shortly after Chris Hall made it 2-0. This was how it remained at half-time and Yarmouth sealed victory in the second period thanks to a fine strike by Mitch Forbes.

Fakenham and Godmanchester will have to do it all over again in midweek after a 1-1 draw at Clipbush Park. The visitors came closest in the first half but Matt Gilchrist cleared off his own line.

The Ghosts hit the front in the 53rd minute when Josh Youngs struck from close range, latching on to Gilchrist's header.

However, Godmanchester got back on level terms shortly after through Sam Brooks and could have won it late on but Fakenham goalkeeper Tommy Rix produced an excellent save to ensure his side got a replay.

Swaffham were left kicking themselves as they let a 4-1 lead slip at Shoemakers Lane, drawing 4-4 with Newmarket.

After falling behind early on Alex Vincent put the Pedlars back on level terms and further goals from Mark Alibone and a Jack Defty brace put them firmly in charge. However, the visitors rallied, scoring three goals to secure a replay.

Thetford Town were also involved in a high-scoring affair as they beat Framlingham 4-3. Goals from Robbie Priddle (two), Max Melanson and Bruno Tavares ensured victory.

Diss are through to the second qualifying round thanks to goals from Shaun Hunsdon, Adam Burroughs and Charlie Webb against visitors Team Bury.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter