Thurlow Nunn League: Gorleston run over as Norwich United go marching on

Thurlow Nunn Premier Division, Norwich United v Thetford Town at Plantation Park, Blofield. Norwich

Thurlow Nunn Premier Division, Norwich United v Thetford Town at Plantation Park, Blofield. Norwich Utd's Matt Blake Photo : Steve Adams - Credit: Steve Adams

Gorleston boss Ricci Butler has urged his team to put a disappointing away day behind them.

The Greens' six-match unbeaten run in league and cup came to an end at Hadleigh United, where they went down 4-2.

Afterwards Butler tweeted: 'Disappointing all round day, didn't deserve anything best team on the day won. Need to forget and regroup.'

While the Greens were down in the dumps. Norwich United were once again the ones left with huge smiles after a 4-0 home win over Thetford Town, while Fakenham Town were thumped 4-1 away to Saffron Walden Town, who were recording their first home win of the season.

Matt Blake set the ball rolling for United with a brace from Adam Hipperson giving them a 3-0 lead at the break, with his replacement, Tom Cullumbine, adding a fourth in the second half.

It leaves the Planters a dozen points clear of Felixstowe & Walton United, while Fakenham's defeat leaves them second from bottom, behind Thetford on goal difference only.

Gorleston, meanwhile, are 11th in the table. They went behind to the 2014 champions on 23 minutes and piled on the pressure, but Gorleston levelled two minutes before the break. Hayden Ingram collected Luke Goreham's pass just inside his own half and drove forward feeding Peter Lambert. He passed across the box to Kyle Ingram who cut inside from the right to fire left-footed into the corner.

Most Read

Gorleston felt Hadleigh should have been reduced to 10 men when Jordan King, with only the keeperto beat, was pulled back, but when the official's whistle went it was simply for half-time. Tempers flared as the teams left the field and the second half began with the referee giving both captains a stern talking to.

Both teams went close but with 68 minutes gone Gorleston took the lead when a Keegan Middleton free-kick into the box fell at the feet of Lambert four yards out and the striker couldn't miss.

But the lead lasted just six minutes as the hosts levelled and, just four minutes after that, went ahead, adding a fourth in the final minute.

In the First Division, Great Yarmouth Town's hopes of closing the gap at the top were ruined by bad weather with their game at home to AFC Sudbury Reserves postponed because of a waterlogged pitch.

Ely City consolidated second position with a 5-1 victory at Dereham Town Reserves, after the game had been 1-1 at half-time.

In the only other two matches to survive the elements Diss Town won 4-0 at Downham Town and March Town United beat Cornard United 1-0. Joe Manning and Jason Armes (penalty) put Diss in control after the hosts had a penalty saved by Matt Powley, with Danny Self and Manning again sealing the win before half-time.

Wisbech Town were 4-2 winners over Olney in the quarter-finals of the United Counties League Cup quarter-final.

The Fenmen were 2-0 up at half-time after goals from Adam Millsom and Billy Smith, but their lower-division opponents levelled and Wisbech needed both players on target again after the break to secure victory. However, the afternoon was soured when the club confirmed that Steven Reid suffered a double leg fracture.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter