Great Yarmouth Town facing relegation as local rivals Greens hit back to grab draw

Ryan Pearson was on target as Swaffham Town won 2-0 at Mulbarton Wanderers Picture: EDDIE DEANE

Ryan Pearson was on target as Swaffham Town won 2-0 at Mulbarton Wanderers Picture: EDDIE DEANE - Credit: Archant

Great Yarmouth are staring relegation in the face after conceding a late goal to draw 1-1 at neighbours Gorleston.

With rivals Ely and Long Melford winning, the Bloaters are now three points from safety in the top flight of the Thurlow Nunn League with just a trip to second-placed Godmanchester to come.

They need to win that one, while hoping Long Melford lose at Thetford Town, to stay up on goal difference.

In front of a crowd of 328, Ray Urry opened the scoring for the Bloaters in the eighth minute from a Josh Ford long throw but the Greens equalised in the 85th minute when David Shade headed in a Connor Ingram corner.

Thetford warmed up for next week's Norfolk Senior Cup final against Dereham with a 4-2 win over Walsham le Willows. Valter Rocha took his tally for the season to 28 with a brace while Quevin Castro and Robbie Priddle were also on target.

You may also want to watch:

Kirkley & Pakefield won 1-0 at relegated Framlingham (Cameron Russell) while Wroxham took the derby honours at Plantation Park, beating an in-form Norwich United side 2-0 despite goalscorer Nathan Stewart picking up a second yellow and conceding a late penalty which saw Liam Jackson foiled by George Macrae.

Swaffham are one win away from clinching the Division One North title after winning 2-0 at third-placed Mulbarton Wanderers. Goals from Tommy Hunt and Ryan Pearson secured a crucial victory, with Tommy Rix saving a penalty at 1-0.

Most Read

Leaders Harleston completed their programme by winning 5-2 at Cornard (Sam Borrer, Nathan Stone, Lawrence Cheese, Nicky Howell and Jake Imrie) but the Pedlars will be champions if they win at bottom side Felixstowe & Walton Reserves on Saturday. Diss lost 6-0 at home to Lakenheath while Fakenham's long unbeaten run ended in a 3-1 defeat at March (Alex Walpole).

In Bostik League Division One North Dereham went down 2-1 at Soham Town Rangers, with an 81st-minute penalty from Callum Russell settling it after David Hinton had seen red. Russell had opened the scoring on five minutes, with Danny Beaumont equalising on the half-hour mark.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter