Thurlow Nunn League: Fakenham promotion hopes on hold as Thetford and Diss continue to struggle
- Credit: Matthew Usher
Fakenham Town's hopes of promotion from the Thurlow Nunn First Division are on ice, after being held to a 0-0 home draw by third-placed Ipswich Wanderers.
The Ghosts remain second and two points ahead of Ipswich but have played one game more, so need to win at Great Yarmouth Town today to keep their noses in front.
Yarmouth are out of the promotion running and lost 2-1 at Whitton United, who wrapped up the First Division title with the three points.
Swaffham retain a hope of forcing their way into the top three as they are three points adrift after being held to a 1-1 home draw by Saffron Walden Town.
The Pedlars performed well but couldn't force the first goal and it was Walden who took the lead, in the 82nd minute, after being caught on the break.
But substitute Mark Allibone hit back for the home side five minutes later, bundling the ball into the net to keep Swaffham's season alive.
In the Premier Division, Norwich United kept up their brilliant form and extended their unbeaten run to 12 matches with a 3-1 win against Newmarket Town.
- 1 'Squatter' couple become legal owners of land as saga continues
- 2 Weather warning issued as wintry showers expected to cause icy conditions
- 3 Teenager admits stabbing three people in Norwich city centre
- 4 'Oh God almighty, this woman!' - Zoom council meeting descends into chaos
- 5 Man stopped 504 people from getting jabs after gluing vaccine centre locks
- 6 Boss 'gutted' after scenes cut from Ed Balls' Who Do You Think You Are?
- 7 MP 'not concerned' about single Omicron case in north Norfolk
- 8 Tributes paid to much-loved family man who died in A143 crash
- 9 Case of Omicron Covid variant confirmed in north Norfolk
- 10 OPINION: Delight when 'all you can eat' restaurants get their comeuppance
Strikers Matt Blake and Paul Cook scored the goals for the Planters, Blake notching his 17th of the campaign and Cook grabbing a brace to take his tally to 10.
Gorleston remain fourth after a 2-2 home draw with Brightlingsea Regent, but have already confirmed they will not be pursuing promotion this season.
Jack Garrod and Chris Sandford scored the goals for Gorleston to deny Brightlingsea going top of the table.
It is at the bottom of the table where local attentions are truly fixed though, as Thetford Town and Diss Town continue remain in potential relegation trouble.
Thetford remain third from bottom, and in the drop zone, after drawing 3-3 at Mildenhall Town.
Sam Bryant had put the Brecklanders ahead early on but Mildenhall bounced back to 3-1 up by the 67th minute. Jordan Rocastle then brought Thetford back into the game and Ian Fancett rescued a point with an excellent left-foot shot in injury-time.
Diss Town also drew 3-3 and remain a point and a place above Thetford in the table. The relegation situation is not fully clear however, as CRC are due to drop out of the league at the end of the season.
FC Clacton have rallied in recent weeks to pull themselves out of trouble and continued their revival with a 2-1 home win against Kirkley & Pakefield, with Ross Gilfedder scoring Kirkley's goal, to leave Thetford and Diss in trouble.