Late goals earn valuable point for battling Thetford
- Credit: Archant
Two late goals gave Thetford a point against Brantham Athletic in a dress rehearsal for the Thurlow Nunn League Cup final next month.
It was a well-earned result for Town – on a day when many fixtures were lost to the weather – against a team sitting sixth in the table, and further evidence that Thetford can hold their own against teams sitting towards the top of the league.
Brantham took a two-goal advantage into the interval at a rain-sodden Mundford Road but this was not a fair reflection of the half as Thetford had gone close on numerous occasions.
The visitors went in front following a rare error from Town keeper Will Viner, whose attempted cross-pitch pass was intercepted by Brantham winger Ben Newson, who struck with a 25-yard half volley.
Brantham's physical threat in attack was causing Town problems and from a flicked-on long ball, Newson broke clear on goal. His first effort was excellently saved by Viner's outstretched leg, but from the rebound Newson scored his second.
You may also want to watch:
Just as the game looked as though it may be fizzling out to a defeat for Thetford but substitute Bradley Sandell, changed its course.
In the 85th minute, the teenager delivered a delightful cross from the right deep into the Brantham area. Robbie Priddle was unmarked and left with a simple headed finish. t roused the crowd and gave Thetford hope of rescuing a point.
- 1 Part of seventh skeleton discovered in city street
- 2 A47 closed in both directions after crash
- 3 Nurse's 'heartbreak' over hospital care as her father dies on Covid ward
- 4 Woman in her 20s among 31 Covid patients to die in five days at hospital
- 5 'I've lost my pension': Car collection destroyed by 'professional' vandal
- 6 Fifteen flood alerts in place amid 'stay indoors' warning
- 7 Aviva to close two large office sites in Norwich
- 8 Councillor 'incandescent' over second-home owners breaking Covid rules
- 9 Road through village closed by floodwater
- 10 Deputy lieutenant of Norfolk sells beloved thatched Broads home
Deep in injury time, Priddle managed to poke a weak shot at goal and in the marsh of the six-yard box the diving goalkeeper, Callum Robinson could only push the ball away from goal. Sandell showed composure to lay the ball back for Max Melanson to stroke it home from close range.
Fakenham Town went down 2-0 at Haverhill Borough.
In Division One, Diss Town were beaten 3-2 at home by Holland FC, while Downham Town lost 1-0 to visiting Framlingham Town.
Norwich United's second string had a good 2-1 win at Halstead Town while Norwich CBS had Jordan Attree and Paul Cook sent off as they lost 2-1 at home to a Woodbridge side featuring former Sunderland and Ipswich player Carlos Edwards.