Three Norfolk teams make progress in FA Cup

Dereham Town maintained their bright start to the new campaign on Saturday afternoon when they became one of three Norfolk sides to book their places in the preliminary round of the FA Cup.

The Magpies followed up their opening day league win at Felixstowe by coming from one down at half-time to beat Stewarts and Lloyds Corby 3-1 at Aldiss Park to make progress in the biggest knock-out competition of them all.

Gorleston and Norwich United also came through the extra prelimary round – while Great Yarmouth, Kirkley and Pakefield and Wisbech Town lived to fight another day after securing 1-1 draws.

After going behind against the run of play Dereham hit back early in the second half when Gary Starling scored directly from a corner and soon moved ahead as Shaun Bamment nodded home Craig Bussens' cross. By the mid-point of the second period the Magpies had moved into a 3-1 lead courtesy of a fine team goal finished off by Adam Smith and the only sour note came when Smith picked up an ankle injury that could keep him out for a few weeks.

Dereham will now be aiming to book a place in the first qualifying round when they entertain Northamptonshire side Woodford United on Saturday, August 25.

Gorleston made it three wins out of three at the start of the new campaign when they scored two late goals to beat Stanway Rovers 3-1 and set up a tough trip to Needham Market. With four minutes left at Emerald Park it was 1-1, with Lee Townrow having cancelled out a 55th minute effort from Gorletson's Jack Garrod. But Bradley Hough got on the end of Carl Poppy's free-kick to restore the home side's lead and fellow substitute Christy Finch added a third in injury time.

Norwich United came from a goal down to win 2-1 against Essex side Stansted, who had been forced to surrender home advantage because their ground was unavailable. A cross-cum-shot from Charlie Simpson had given the visitors the lead but George Wilson restored parity after the break after being set up by Jordan Rocastle and Mark Baxter scored what proved to be the winner after a goalmouth scramble. United now face a trip to Burnham-on-Crouch to face Eton Manor.

Most Read

Great Yarmouth and Barkingside will try again at the Wellesley tomorrow night after a 1-1 draw in Essex. Mitch Forbes' first half effort for the Bloaters was cancelled out by Richard Oxby before Marian Jobbagy's last-gasp conversion for the visitors was ruled out for offside.

Kirkley and Pakefield's scorer in their home draw with Sawbridgeworth was Dominic Smith, who netted from the penalty spot, while a late header from Matt Lunn earned Wisbech another crack of the whip against visitors Desborough in front of by far the biggest local FA Cup crowd of the day, 253.

All three now face replays tomorrow, with Yarmouth chasing a home clash with Witham, Kirkley a home tie with Southend Manor and the Fenmen a home tie with either Northampton Spencer or Yaxley.

Fakenham's first appearance in the FA Cup for seven years ended in disappointment, but they were far from disgraced, giving UCL visitors St Ives a real fright before going down 1-0. The Ghosts gave as good as they got until St Ives took the lead midway through the second period and then saw two good penalty appeals turned down.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter