Thousands line the streets in Wymondham for Tour of Britain
Thousands of spectators lined the streets of Wymondham this afternoon to welcome dozens of riders through the historic market town for the Tour of Britain.
Crowds braved the showery weather to cheer on the professional cyclists for the penultimate stage of the race. And the historic Market Cross building marked the finishing point of a sprint stage, which was completed by a group of six racers just after 1pm today. The rest of the riders followed a few minutes later.
Town leaders praised the turnout for the event as people lined the Market Place and Market Street to see the riders come through Wymondham.
The stage marked a busier than usual day's trading for Wymondham Farmers' Market and people were treated to poetry busking in the town in the morning as part of the Wymondham Words literary festival.
Wymondham mayor Neil Ward, who was also selling coffee in the Market Place, said it had been a 'glorious day' for the town.
You may also want to watch:
'Anything that brings more people into town is an added benefit and puts Wymondham on the map. It has been very successful and is great for the traders,' he said.
Joe Mooney, local district and county councillor, added: 'It has been a great day for Wymondham and people have flocked to see the event and everyone has enjoyed themselves.'
- 1 Revealed: The most expensive towns to buy a home in Norfolk
- 2 Couple fined £400 for digging up 8,000 Norfolk bluebells
- 3 What might happen to former Debenhams store in city centre?
- 4 Hundreds more trees on route of Norwich NDR have died
- 5 950-home bid takes step forward after £7m developer contribution agreed
- 6 BBC Autumnwatch returns to Norfolk for another season
- 7 'I remember shutting down' - Singer on cancer diagnosis at Norfolk hospital
- 8 Woman left 'penniless' while waiting five weeks for first pension payment
- 9 What does the ice-cream man do during winter?
- 10 Two Norfolk hotels named among the best in the country
The Tour of Britain celebrations will continue in Wymondham next week when a mass cycle commute leaves the Market Cross for the Forum in Norwich at 8am on Friday.
For more information, visit www.thewymondhamapproach.wordpress.com