Thousands line the streets in Wymondham for Tour of Britain
Thousands of spectators lined the streets of Wymondham this afternoon to welcome dozens of riders through the historic market town for the Tour of Britain.
Crowds braved the showery weather to cheer on the professional cyclists for the penultimate stage of the race. And the historic Market Cross building marked the finishing point of a sprint stage, which was completed by a group of six racers just after 1pm today. The rest of the riders followed a few minutes later.
Town leaders praised the turnout for the event as people lined the Market Place and Market Street to see the riders come through Wymondham.
The stage marked a busier than usual day's trading for Wymondham Farmers' Market and people were treated to poetry busking in the town in the morning as part of the Wymondham Words literary festival.
Wymondham mayor Neil Ward, who was also selling coffee in the Market Place, said it had been a 'glorious day' for the town.
You may also want to watch:
'Anything that brings more people into town is an added benefit and puts Wymondham on the map. It has been very successful and is great for the traders,' he said.
Joe Mooney, local district and county councillor, added: 'It has been a great day for Wymondham and people have flocked to see the event and everyone has enjoyed themselves.'
- 1 Tributes to much-loved Laura, 28, after Covid death
- 2 Covid rips through care homes again with deaths almost doubling in a week
- 3 'I am heartbroken' - Woman's two cats killed by 'reckless' drivers
- 4 'Isolate from your household' plea as Covid soars in Norwich
- 5 A47 closed in both directions after crash
- 6 Part of seventh skeleton discovered in city street
- 7 Concern elderly people 'being ignored' as town has no vaccination centre
- 8 Man seriously injured after Norfolk crash
- 9 Norfolk yet to reach peak in latest wave of coronavirus deaths
- 10 'They don't care': Retired couple slam council over 'dangerous' tree
The Tour of Britain celebrations will continue in Wymondham next week when a mass cycle commute leaves the Market Cross for the Forum in Norwich at 8am on Friday.
For more information, visit www.thewymondhamapproach.wordpress.com