Things can only improve
These really have proved to be two difficult months for East Anglia's sea anglers. Starting in the south of the region, 24 anglers recently fished a club match at Orford Ness, only four sizeable fish were weighed in, two codling were the highlight of the day.
These really have proved to be two difficult months for East Anglia's sea anglers.
Starting in the south of the region, 24 anglers recently fished a club match at Orford Ness, only four sizeable fish were weighed in, two codling were the highlight of the day. It's no better as we head up the coast, the guys in the kayaks are still finding a few out of casting range of the beach anglers, but again these tend to be those 2-3lb codling that aren't quite ready to join their larger brethren spawning yet. Precious few whiting and only occasional flatties and rockling have been showing in the Lowestoft area.
Reports from Yarmouth have been scant with only occasional flatfish showing, blanks seems to be the dominant result from here up to Cromer, the shallow sandy beaches of east Norfolk suffering most at the hands of winter it seems. Fishing is more consistent once you get above Sheringham to the shingle ridge.
Not too much beach is exposed at low water so the sand doesn't get frosted like the east Norfolk beaches, the flatties seem to like that and one or two nice flounders and dabs have shown amongst the palm sized flatfish.
You may also want to watch:
The forecast for the coming week holds little or no respite from the cold weather that's had such a bearing on our sport this winter, with March on the horizon, things can only get better.
- 1 Two men in critical condition as multiple people stabbed
- 2 Secluded Broads farmhouse in almost 11 acres goes up for sale
- 3 Fire crews rush to a crash near Norfolk village
- 4 Owner of popular bakery rushed into intensive care 120 miles from home
- 5 'Like a horror film' - Friends left terrified after being followed in woods
- 6 Plans for seven new supermarkets in Norfolk - but where will they be?
- 7 Police called after elderly, sick seal attacked with stones
- 8 Police swoop on Norwich address
- 9 Eight men arrested after multiple stabbing in Norwich
- 10 Asda and Amazon urgently recall items due to safety concerns