Things are warming up on beaches
SEA FISHING: It wouldn't take much to improve sport over recent weeks and one or two better fish did show during the warming of last week.
In the deep south of the region it was business as usual with the notable exception of a few nice fish from Southwold. A bass of 5lb was taken from the pier and a couple of cod were also taken.
Orford and Aldeburgh have been consistent and all I've had reported from there is the obligatory dabs and pin whiting. Lowestoft has been bitty too with only occasional better fish from the tackle-hungry North Beach to Corton stretch.
It was a little better at Yarmouth with a few codling reported from the river, the best a cracker of about 4.5lb. Dabs and whiting have been the mainstay of north, central and south beach catches although odd school bass have also shown from South Beach.
Much of the same up towards Cromer, the warm weather encouraging a few flatties to feed but no codling reported to me.
You may also want to watch:
Matt Lawes tried his hand at Trimingham hoping for an elusive codling and only managed a flattie for his efforts, though I'd expect things to pick up along here soon.
The shingle has benefited from having a few more rods fishing it and has produced its fair share of codling in a generally poor season. A few fish have fed when conditions have been right in the rough stuff from Weybourne to Sheringham although flattie sport has been a reliable backstop with fish from Cley to Weybourne reported.
- 1 Part of seventh skeleton discovered in city street
- 2 Nurse's 'heartbreak' over hospital care as her father dies on Covid ward
- 3 Aviva to close two large office sites in Norwich
- 4 Fifteen flood alerts in place amid 'stay indoors' warning
- 5 A47 closed in both directions after crash
- 6 Councillor 'incandescent' over second-home owners breaking Covid rules
- 7 Deputy lieutenant of Norfolk sells beloved thatched Broads home
- 8 Woman in her 20s among 31 Covid patients to die in five days at hospital
- 9 'I've lost my pension': Car collection destroyed by 'professional' vandal
- 10 Timeline: When should you receive the coronavirus vaccine?
Holt SAC's recent match at Salthouse was won by Sam Attew with a dab and single flounder catch of 2lb 3oz, the consistent Mr Thomas was second with 1lb 10oz with Paul Thorburn in third with 15oz.