Thetford aiming to end long wait for silverware against Brantham
- Credit: Copyright: Archant 2017
Thetford Town will be bidding to end a 27-year wait for silverware this afternoon when they take on Brantham Athletic in the Thurlow Nunn League Challange final at Diss Town (kick-off 3pm).
The last time the Brecklanders added to their trophy cabinet was when they beat St Andrews in the Norfolk Senior Cup final in 1991 but have the chance to end that drought against Brantham.
Thetford will be the underdogs against Brantham, who finished fifth in the Thurlow Nunn League Premier Division, after having the better of their league encounters this season, taking four points off the Danny White's side.
However, White insists his squad are capable of overcoming anyone at this level on their day.
'I don't think the results give them an advantage, even though they may think this,' he said. 'We know on our day we are capable of beating them.
You may also want to watch:
'We all want to win this trophy to cap off the season. We have beaten some good sides to get to the final and are now one game away from silverware.
'The lads need to enjoy the occasion and approach it as normal. We need to be at it from the first whistle to the last. Togetherness and desire is the key.'
- 1 The areas where Covid rates have fallen the fastest since lockdown began
- 2 'Small number' of staff at town's Tesco test positive for Covid-19
- 3 ‘I cried so much’ - Mum-of-four on impact of whole family having Covid
- 4 Norwich Debenhams looks doomed as Boohoo to buy brand
- 5 Norwich hairdresser, former boxer and bodybuilder, dies from Covid
- 6 Bus crashes into lorry in Norwich
- 7 Body discovered in Thetford Forest Park
- 8 'We're all shocked' - Butchers shop attacked by vandals
- 9 Shock as cannabis factory found in quiet Broads' village
- 10 Pretty thatched cafe on Broads up for sale for £75,000
Town will be without two of this season's key players for the final. Striker Robbie Priddle, who has 25 goals to his name this season, is away serving in the RAF and talented sideman Ben Anderson is suffering with an ongoing leg injury.
Thetford finished their league campaign with a 1-0 win at Walsham-le-Willows on Wednesday thanks to a Max Melanson strike.
Meanwhile, Town are aiming to restart a reserve team next season. The club had to fold its reserve team midway through last season due to a lack of players but are hoping to put together a management team and squad of players to enter next season's Thurlow Nunn reserve league,
White said: 'We want a reserve side to act as a feed to the first team and to give the talented youngsters we have here opportunities to play at a good standard regularly and to push for a first team place.'
For enquiries about the potential new reserve team please contact Danny White, firstname.lastname@example.org or 07789934181.