Thetford Town not down and out as Thurlow Nunn League look set to offer relegation reprieve
- Credit: IAN BURT
Thetford Town look set to be given a relegation reprieve by the Thurlow Nunn League.
The Eastern Daily Press understands that the Brecklanders will be given a Premier Division lifeline at the organisation's annual general meeting tomorrow.
Town finished in the bottom three last season and looked destined for an immediate return to the First Division. But with champions Dereham Town, and United Counties League bound Wisbech Town and Godmanchester Rovers all heading out of the top-flight, Mark Scott's men need to stay up to boost dwindling numbers.
Their cause has also been helped by Division One winners Cambridge University Press not taking promotion due to no longer groundsharing with Histon.
Scott said he was also '98pc sure' that Thetford would begin 2013-14 in the Premier Division.
You may also want to watch:
The Thetford boss, who is staying on next term, said: 'I don't feel I had a fair crack at being a Premier Division manager with all the comings and goings and now I, and the club, want to prove ourselves as a Premier Division side and get some consistency.'
In other news, the club are withdrawing their under-18s side next season, but reinstating its reserve team.
- 1 The areas where Covid rates have fallen the fastest since lockdown began
- 2 'Small number' of staff at town's Tesco test positive for Covid-19
- 3 ‘I cried so much’ - Mum-of-four on impact of whole family having Covid
- 4 Norwich Debenhams looks doomed as Boohoo to buy brand
- 5 Norwich hairdresser, former boxer and bodybuilder, dies from Covid
- 6 Bus crashes into lorry in Norwich
- 7 Body discovered in Thetford Forest Park
- 8 'We're all shocked' - Butchers shop attacked by vandals
- 9 Shock as cannabis factory found in quiet Broads' village
- 10 Cycling trail among ideas for new country park
The following friendlies have also been arranged; Wroxham Academy (H) Jul 10, Bury Town (H) Jul 12, Munford (H) Jul 17, AFC Sudbury (H) Jul 19, Redgrave Rangers (H) Jul 23, Lowestoft (H) Jul 25, Needham Apprentices (A) Aug 5, Ely Reserves (H) Aug 6 and Dressingham Rovers (A) Aug 8.