Thetford’s Thurlow Nunn survival hopes boosted by Dew strike

Swaffham's Rory Harper rides a tackle.

Swaffham's Rory Harper rides a tackle. - Credit: Archant

After relegation-threatened Thetford Town registered their first win since November, manager Mark Scott declared: 'Until it becomes mathematically impossible to stay up we'll keep fighting.'

The vital three points secured in a 1-0 Premier Division win over doomed Clacton saw the Brecklanders climb out of the bottom three, at the expense of Diss Town, whose game at home to high-flying Mildenhall was abandoned after 54 minutes when the Suffolk side were leading 1-0.

Thetford travel to Diss in their next game on Easter Monday (ko 3) – a match Scott described as 'very winnable.'

After nine defeats in a row, Thetford showed they were not dead and buried with a 1-1 draw last weekend with high-flyers Brantham and Scott was determined to savour Saturday's victory – the first since a 3-2 win at Godmanchester in November.

The all-important goal came in the 25th minute of a game played in dreadful conditions, with the entire second half taking place in a blizzard.

Portuguese striker Valter Rocha, with his first touch after replacing the injured Luke Catchpole, found young striker Tommy Dew, who applied a cool finish.

'It's been a long time coming. That will give us a boost to take into the next game at Diss, which is very winnable.

Most Read

'If we can beat Diss, confidence will be high and hopefully we can use that in the final three games against Hadleigh, Ely and Woodbridge,' said Scott, whose side sits a point above Richard Daniels' Tangerines, but have played five games more.

Referee Shon Meale was forced to concede defeat in a battle against the elements in the 54th minute of Diss Town's game with Mildenhall at Brewer's Green Lane.

The Suffolk side had taken the lead a minute before the break when a cross was diverted into his own net by Eddie Thompson.

At the other end of the table Wisbech beat Hadleigh 3-1 in the only other Premier Division game played to climb above Gorleston into second place, with goals from Adam Millson, Neal Spafford and Callum Reed.

In Division One Swaffham rewarded their volunteer pitch-clearing brigade with a 2-0 win over Stowmarket.

Swaffham lost David Jackson with a cut head, sustained after colliding with a team-mate making a clearance to prevent a 30th-minute goal.

The Pedlars took a 66th-minute lead when Matthew Parkinson, who had been involved in the collision with Jackson, headed his first goal of the season.

Rory Harper sealed the points with a shot from outside the penalty area nine minutes from time.

The other Division One game played saw Fakenham beat Whitton United 1-0.