Thetford RUFC II 15 Watton RFC 66: Fifteen tries scored in derby clash

Action from Watton RFC's 66-15 friendly victory against Thetford 2nds.

Action from Watton RFC's 66-15 friendly victory against Thetford 2nds. - Credit: Submitted - November 2013

Fifteen tries were scored in a feast of rugby when Watton's first team took on Thetford II in a friendly encounter.

With no league fixture, Watton took the opportunity to field their second team and a few experienced first-team players at Mundford Road, and streaked to a 66-15 victory.

Watton kicked off light of two men in the scrum and were made to pay just three minutes into the game when quick ball from a Thetford lineout was passed through hands for them to score unconverted points just right of the posts for 5-0.

But with the two missing forwards eventually arriving and Watton back at full strength, their first try came 20 minutes in. A penalty for holding on in the tackle gave the quick-thinking Watton scrum-half Tiger Shaw the opportunity to tap and go, to put the charging Matt Goodwin in far right of the posts for 5-5.

Five minutes later there was another score for Watton when clean ball at a lineout deep in the Thetford 22 was taken by Paul Rushby and the maul was driven into try-line territory to allow second team captain Mark Goodwin to peel from the back and dive over and take a 10-5 lead.

Just after the half-hour mark Richie Brand extended the lead to 15-5, after a ruck in the centre of the park was picked up again by the Shaw and Goodwin combination and out to the speeding Brand on the wing.

Two more scores for Watton happened in quick succession, from winger James Clarke, who pretty much single-handedly ran the half to score unconverted points under the posts, and Tom Pearce, who jinked pass the Thetford centre, wing and full-back for a half-time score of 25-5.

Most Read

Number eight Will Waddingham went over after the break, with Joe Norman converting for 32-5, before Matt Goodwin crashed over for another try.

Watton then failed to thwart a slick move by the Thetford backs to reduce the arrears to 37-10, but tries from James Clarke and Michael Stickland moved the visitors into a 47-10 lead.

Matt Goodwin's third made it 54-10, before Thetford smashed over for their third try of the match.

But Watton finished the job after an unconverted Clarke try and Joe Norman converting his own touchdown for a final score of 66-15 to Watton.

The Saham Toney Old Bell sponsored man of the match went to Julian D'aeth, in only his second match for the club at second row.