Thetford Parkrun breaks participant record for its 50th race
- Credit: Submitted
Thetford Parkrun's continuing growth in popularity has reached a record high.
On Saturday, January 11 the parkrun hit a record attendance of over 100 participants and that number was increased again on Saturday.
There were 114 people, aged five to 70, who met at the Priory car park to start the 50th Thetford Parkrun, and they all walked, jogged or ran the 5K course along the river and around the water meadows.
The weekly free timed event is run by volunteers and encourages all members of the community, regardless of ability, to complete 5km, for fun.
This week the first finisher was Jack Trow in a time of 18 minutes 20 seconds, and the first female to cross the line was Shirley Standley in 23:31.
There were 22 first time participants and 26 personal bests were beaten, with 11 volunteers set ting up, timing, scanning barcodes, marshalling and encouraging all participants.
Parkrun is open to everyone and is free. Go to www.parkrun.org.uk to register and be emailed a barcode to bring along, and then turn up just before 9am every Saturday at the Priory car park.
- 1 Norfolk village named among poshest places to live in UK
- 2 Man's surprise at finding virtually naked man asleep on car in Cromer
- 3 Weather warning extended as thunderstorms set to hit Norfolk after heatwave
- 4 Two men arrested after fire caused by disposable BBQ at country park
- 5 Plans for roundabout at accident blackspot set for submission
- 6 'Not our problem' - Tyre mountain boss exports 350 tonnes of rubber 'I know not where'
- 7 Holidaymakers face further severe TUI delays from Norwich
- 8 9 celebrities who have been spotted in Norfolk in 2022
- 9 Man who rushed to help woman stabbed in city park feared she might die
- 10 Elizabethan manor house with 20 acres and a pool on sale for £2.75m
The course is marshalled to encourage and direct runners round safely. Alternatively people can come along, see what parkrun is about and offer to marshal if they don't fancy running.
Thetford's Parkrun is fast approaching its first anniversary. On February 22 the event will celebrate with the option for people to run in fancy dress.