The talk of Rio: Not the World class football on display - but the standard of punditry
- Credit: AP
The World Cup is now in full swing and despite some shock results and scintillating soccer, one of the main talking points of this year's tournament has been the standard of commentary and punditry from both the BBC and ITV.
One of those taking a lot of stick was Phil Neville, the former Man United and Everton player, who made his co-commentating debut for the England v Italy game on Saturday on the BBC.
Complaints about Neville's monotone voice and mumbling speech were soon aired on Twitter and have caused rumours to surface that he could be dropped by the BBC if England reach the last 16.
Even Norwich City 'keeper John Ruddy commented, tweeting from the @Johnruddy86 account: 'Either the volume is very low or Phil Neville is under his duvet commentating so he doesn't wake anyone?!?'
However Neville, whose brother Gary is on the England coaching staff, hasn't been the only commentator to receive stick. Clarke Carlisle, live on air for ITV, was mocked for mistakenly believing a Colombian player was Ecuadorian and Rio Ferdinand has been behind a few odd lines, including: 'You can smell that the likes of Pele and Zico have been here. We are lucky to be here.'
You may also want to watch:
Last night BBC commentator Jonathan Pearce was subjected to criticism on Twitter for getting confused about the use of goal line technology in the France v Honduras game.
Of course, it could just be the standard of analysis is no worse than ever before - just social media makes it easier for people to point out mistakes and share them with others.
- 1 New virus named after Norfolk village
- 2 'Vindicated at last' - Pension compensation on the horizon for WASPI women
- 3 Latitude labelled 'Covid fest' by health boss as staff forced to isolate
- 4 Holiday park bosses pay tribute to 'popular' worker murdered in Norfolk village
- 5 No club record bid from City for Armstrong
- 6 Banham Poultry evacuated in suspected chemical incident
- 7 'Destination' fish and chip restaurant for sale
- 8 Police child safety team raid house to arrest man
- 9 Eleven people taken to hospital after Banham Poultry chemical spill
- 10 Driving instructor shares terrifying videos of NDR near misses
If you have heard any other great quotes, incorrect facts or just awful commentary then let us know in the comment section below or by tweeting @beckymurphy11