Thamesmead Town 0, Wroxham 3 – Injury puts a downer on Yachtsmen’s latest victory
Wroxham carried on their recent upturn in form with a deserved victory.
The win is the Yachtsmen's third in a row and they are unbeaten in five games, although a suspected hamstring injury to skipper Andy Howell that forced him off in the first half put a slight downer on the result.
Wroxham started well on a boggy pitch, Kyle Baker carving out the first real opening with a superb solo run that teed up Remy Gordon who shot wide. Christy Finch had an effort cleared off the line following good work by Danny White.
This seemed to shake up the hosts and Tyrus Gordon-Young poked an effort past Elliot Pride but Stephen Taylor managed to get back on the line to clear. With Thamesmead threatening, Stewart Larter's men needed a response and they got it in the 39th minute when Gordon gave them the lead.
Finch did the hard work before firing across the box to hand his team-mate a tap-in. David Hinton made it two five minutes after the restart collecting a cleared corner and sending in a superb 20-yard chip that deceived everyone and found the back of the net.
You may also want to watch:
Danny Rust cleared off another effort off the line and Pride produced a stunning one-handed save to keep Wroxham's two-goal lead in tact. And this resistance was rewarded with 10 minutes to go when Finch made sure of the points to keep Wroxham ahead of the chasing pack in the Ryman North play-offs.
Fellow top-five chasing outfit Dereham Town's home game against Tilbury was postponed due to a waterlogged pitch.
- 1 Norwich sees biggest rise in Covid infection rates in the country
- 2 Hotel 'nobody wants to buy' for sale as housing for £365,000
- 3 Aviva to close two large office sites in Norwich
- 4 Nine Norfolk flood alerts ahead of Storm Christoph
- 5 Man who died in west Norfolk crash named
- 6 Man who drove 128 miles for fish and chips among latest Covid fines
- 7 Part of seventh skeleton discovered in city street
- 8 Delivery van towed from deep water on road closed due to flood risk
- 9 Going full term during this coronavirus pandemic fills me with absolute terror
- 10 Carer caught on CCTV letting dog scratch vulnerable pensioner