Ten-man Wisbech Town pick up a fine victory
- Credit: Archant
Wisbech Town recorded a comfortable 4-1 win against Long Buckby despite being reduced to 10 men for more than an hour of their United Counties League Premier Division clash at the Elgood's Fenland Stadium on Saturday.
The Fenmen peppered the visitors' goal during the opening 20 minutes. However, this dominance wasn't being converted into goals and it seemed that the job of scoring them was about to get harder when Steven Reid was sent off in the 24th minute for what the referee deemed to be a deliberate elbow on Wes Emery.
The opening goal came in the 37th minute. Tony Battersby laid off the ball to Callum Reed and his powerful shot took a heavy deflection off Bucks' captain James Allcock on its way into the net. The lead was doubled after 56 minutes as Callum Stocks capitalised on a defensive error to score with a low curling shot from 18 yards.
The visitors grabbed a lifeline on the hour as a corner was only half cleared and Joe Power found the net after Lea Jordan had blocked the initial effort.
Any thoughts of a comeback were dashed by the home side inside the final 12 minutes as Battersby scored from close range. Two minutes later, the points were secured as Reed got his second of the game with a low free kick.
There was still time for the visitors to be reduced to ten men as Liam O'Neill was shown a second yellow card in the dying minutes.
- 1 Row erupts after dozens of trees aligning footpath chopped down
- 2 Hermes courier and his wife could be jailed over ‘stolen parcels’
- 3 Obituary: Tributes after 'heart-shaped hole' is left following teaching assistant's death
- 4 How Norfolk's current Covid figures compare to November 2020 lockdown
- 5 Winter Wonderland coming to park with ice slide, donkeys and reindeer
- 6 Panoramic views for every customer after award-winning restaurant's refurb
- 7 Christmas lights switch-on cancelled due to forecasted high winds
- 8 Freezing cold temperatures could see snow in parts of Norfolk this weekend
- 9 Norfolk boxer fined for exercising in Chapelfield Gardens during lockdown
- 10 Primary pupil sexually assaulted on way to school