Teenage keeper Bean faces three penalties on Dereham debut
- Credit: Ian Burt
Teenage goalkeeper Archie Bean was given a baptism of fire as he faced three penalties on is debut for Dereham Town.
The 17-year-old saved one, but couldn't prevent Dereham's good away form coming to an end.
Bean, a product of DESA, the Dereham Education and Soccer Academy, and new signing from Wroxham, Oliver Humphrey, were given their debuts in a young-looking side.
The hosts were first to show – after just five minutes they came close when Leon Gordon chested down Lamar Reynolds' centre to Andy Freeman who failed to hit the target from close range.
Dereham skipper Dan Morphew made a vital last-ditch tackle to prevent Gordon from pulling the trigger as Bean approached.
You may also want to watch:
Play continued to ebb and flow, with Dereham's Danny Beaumont's cross drifting just over keeper Anthony Page's bar before Brentwood's Freeman fired into the side netting.
Brentwood took the lead in the 33rd minute in controversial circumstances. Morphew was clearly pushed by home forward Gordon inside the box and the defender fell onto the ball with the referee awarding a penalty for handball. Reynolds confidently dispatched the spot kick.
- 1 Londoners fined for travelling to stay at second home in Norfolk
- 2 Man in 20s dies and three hurt as Audi crashes into wall
- 3 Met Office warns of snow at weekend
- 4 'Fighting every shift' - intensive care nurse's harrowing Covid video diary
- 5 Staff lose jobs at retailer Outfit with plans to close permanently
- 6 School shuts 20 minutes before opening time after staff Covid case
- 7 Boss locked out of own salon after Covid 'vigilantes' glue door shut
- 8 'Extraordinary' outbreak of Covid in Norwich prison
- 9 Military personnel deployed to help N&N cope with Covid pressures
- 10 Man ran onto train tracks to escape Covid police
Minutes later Bean made a fine save to keep out Billy Rees' 20-yard drive. The Magpies almost levelled, but keeper Page palmed away Joe Gatting's goal-bound header from Rhys Logan's cross. Just before the break Gatting headed Beaumont's free-kick inches over before Ryan Crisp delivered a dangerous ball in from the left.
Reynolds fired wide early in the second half and then hit a low drive that flew past the far post.
Brentwood increased their lead in 61st minute through Freeman and they were awarded a second penalty four minutes later when Dion Frary was adjudged to have brought down Gordon. Bean made a great save to keep out Reynolds' spot kick and keep his side in the game. However, Brentwood were awarded a third penalty in the 81st minute when Georgiou's low drive struck Morphew's arm and this time Lamar made no mistake.
Dereham: Bean, Grant (Black 74), Humphrey, Linford (Henman 88), Frary, Morphew, Logan, Dodden, Gatting, Crisp (Gibson 84), Beaumont. Ref: P Killip. Att: 76.