Teams ready for final

Wroxham and Wisbech meet in the Ridgeons League Challenge Cup final at Dereham's Aldiss Park today (Monday), 3pm.

Wroxham finished third in the Premier Division after a 3-2 defeat at Woodbridge on Saturday, and the Fenmen fourth with a 2-1 home win over Wivenhoe, Darren Jimson and Simon Flanz (penalty) the scorers.

Wisbech manager Steve Appleby said: 'We set a target of the top six and we have finished fourth and got the cup final to come. Regardless of what happens there, we have had a good season.'

Of the cup final, he said: 'We will be confident, but not over-confident. We will respect Wroxham, but not too much. We have got to do our job.

'For me it will be a test of how far we have come. As a manager and player you want to play in big games, and this is a big final.'

Wroxham boss David Batch saw goalkeeper Scott Howie sent off at Woodbridge and a penalty conceded.

And looking to the cup final, he reflected: 'One decision by a player or a referee can completely change things, that's what happened on Saturday.'

Most Read

His Yachtsmen have two wins and a draw against Wisbech this season. 'But that doesn't mean anything, it's a one-off game,' said Batch, who will be struggling with injuries, as he has done all season.

Scorers at Woodbridge were Andy Easthaugh and Damian Hilton.

Dereham Town clinched runners-up spot in the championship by completing the double over title winners Leiston thanks to a 2-0 win at Aldiss Park. It secured the highest finish ever for the Magpies.

Dereham manager Matt Henman said ruefully: 'It's a shame we didn't play Leiston earier in the season. If we had been able to beat them earlier, it would have sown a few seeds of doubt in their minds. But when we reflect on the season as a whole, the club can be very proud.

'I was really pleased at the way we played to get second spot after we had fallen away from trying to win it.'

Dereham's goals came in each half from Scott Roberts and Kyle Downs.

Great Yarmouth Town went down 3-1 at Ely after Jake Reed hobbled off with a twisted ankle to bring his last match for the Bloaters before his expected signing for Dagenham & Redbridge to a premature close.

The Robins scored twice in four minutes first half and converted a penalty after 86 minutes. Scott Woodcock scored with a late Yarmouth penalty.

Norwich United cemented sixth place with a 6-1 home win over Debenham LC, the Planters second-best-ever finish and their highest league place for 19 seasons. Nathan Clarke (2) Andrew Claydon, Ryan Foster and Ross King (2) got the goals.

Kirkley & Pakefield went to Stanway with a string of injuries and manager Jon Reynolds named on the bench. They lost 3-0 and finish in 12th place.

Promoted Diss Town drew 0-0 at home to Godmanchester, their first goalless draw of the season. Stefan Gilding was named supporters' player of the season.