Taxman urges region’s firms to check for gangmasters in the run up to Olympics
Employers across the region planning to take on more staff during the Olympics and Paralympic Games were yesterday told they must carry out proper checks on agencies or 'gangmasters' providing staff.
With the Olympics leading to an increase in businesses needing temporary workers, HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) is urging them to carry out checks on their labour suppliers. The department wants them to ensure, where possible, that the gangmasters are paying VAT and other taxes.
Businesses affected include those in catering, food processing, construction, hotels, leisure and security.
HMRC has warned there is a risk that employers could unknowingly hire workers who are in the UK illegally or are earning below the National Minimum Wage. This could result in enquires by HMRC and costs for the business, damaged reputation and even prosecution.
Marie-Claire Uhart, Director of Specialist Investigations, said: 'HMRC has found problems with fraud and unpaid taxes in the labour provider field and this might increase as companies employ more casual labour for the Games. HMRC routinely tackles attempts to defraud the Exchequer, including the use of false invoices and hijacked VAT registrations.
You may also want to watch:
'East of England businesses that use labour providers can help prevent these forms of tax abuse – and avoid involvement in fraudulent supply chains – by being alert and asking the right questions.'
- 1 Norwich sees biggest rise in Covid infection rates in the country
- 2 Hotel 'nobody wants to buy' for sale as housing for £365,000
- 3 Aviva to close two large office sites in Norwich
- 4 Nine Norfolk flood alerts ahead of Storm Christoph
- 5 Man who died in west Norfolk crash named
- 6 Man who drove 128 miles for fish and chips among latest Covid fines
- 7 Part of seventh skeleton discovered in city street
- 8 Delivery van towed from deep water on road closed due to flood risk
- 9 Going full term during this coronavirus pandemic fills me with absolute terror
- 10 Carer caught on CCTV letting dog scratch vulnerable pensioner