Tash picks perfect moment to open account

WOMEN'S EAST LEAGUE: Norwich Dragons gave a spirited performance to come from behind to seal a 3-2 win at Harleston Magpies II, who had started the day four points ahead of them in Division 1N.

Despite soaking up early pressure from a skilful young Magpies side, it was Dragons who went ahead, with Marie James scoring from a short corner.

Magpies responded by scoring twice in quick succession to make it 2-1. The equalising goal came from a cleanly struck short-corner by Melissa Hunter and another quickly followed after some excellent play down the left by Lauren Barber set up Lucy Chubbock.

Despite Dragons going close on a number of occasions, including an effort from Natalie Beal that hit a post, it stayed 2-1 until half-time.

Dragons upped their game in the second half, switching the ball well and keeping hold of it better.

They thought they had equalised but Tash Blyth's shot from a short corner was deemed too high. Their efforts were rewarded soon after, however, when Marie James scored the equaliser with a firm strike at a short corner.

With a few minutes to go, Dragons managed to secure victory with Tash Blyth scoring her first goal of the season from close range.

Most Read

Performances of note for Dragons came from Rachel Miles, player of the match in defence, Hannah Roney, who put in some good work in midfield and Clarie Baker, with some great runs up front.

It was a good team performance from Magpies.

Credit goes to captain Melissa Hunter, who was awarded player of the match for her efforts in both defence and attack.

High-flying Wisbech were held to a 0-0 draw by nearest challengers Cambridge University and continue to lead the way by four points.

Norwich City stayed top of Division 2NE thanks to a confident 3-1 win against Old Buckenham.

City started brightly and were rewarded with a goal from Angie Fletcher, closely followed by the second from player-of-the-match Esme Barber.

Old Buckenham fought back in the second half and their persistence won them a goal, but then City re-gained composure and clinched their third through Fongy Chung.

Sprowston also maintained their excellent start to the campaign when they beat North Walsham 3-2 to stay second in the table, just three points behind leaders City.

A clinically finished short corner from Ellen Van Lint early in the first half gave Walsham a surprise lead. Sprowson rallied and forced Walsham back into their own half with some good passing and a short corner saw Sam Tea's slip to Marie Hood find its way to Amy Butler to finish.

It was not until the second half that Sprowston got a just reward for their hard work when Butler made a break upfield and found forward partner Kerry Hamilton, who neatly beat the Walsham goalkeeper.

Sprowston got a third from another short corner finished by Butler before Walsham hit back with the last hit of the game.

In another local derby, Norwich Dragons II beat Dereham II 2-0.

Dereham started the game strongly but Dragons gradually got the upper hand and from a slipped short corner Charlie Hemmant's shot was well converted by Izzie London.

Further pressure brought more short corners and Sally Small converted a pass from Lizzie Moulton to make it 2-0.

Dragons started the second half with high intensity, closing down Dereham and giving them little respite. Their forwards, Annika Richardson in particular, worked hard to give Dereham little space to play in, while player of the match Lizzie Moulton demonstrated good close skills and composure when under pressure to retain possession.

In the closing minutes, Dereham had short corners cleared from both posts.