Tangerines’ goal blitz breaks record

Two of the Crown Fire Central and South Norfolk League's long-standing records were broken as a result of the Division Four fixture between Diss Town A and Dereham Cockers United which Diss won 36-0.

This becomes the biggest win in league history and, in so doing, breaks the previous record of 32-0 established by Hingham Athletic in November 1997.

The defeat also took Dereham Cockers' goals-against tally for the season to 236 which breaks the previous record of 233 held by Mulbarton United Reserves since the 1979/80 season.

The top five in Division One all won. Leaders Thetford Rovers Reserves got back to winning ways with an emphatic 16-1 win at Cockers which also means that Cockers ended their fixtures without a league win to their credit this season.

Second-placed Dereham Town A won by the odd goal of seven while Shipdham beat Gressenhall 3-1 at home. Bridgham United are fourth after beating Rockland United 3-0 and Tacolneston are up to fifth after their 4-1 home win over Great Ryburgh. Bunwell were beaten 5-3 at home by Swaffham Town A and Hingham Athletic ran out easy 9-2 winners over Cranworth.

You may also want to watch:

The Division Two leaders Northwold S&SC beat Nostro 3-1 and are a point ahead of Feltwell United who won by the only goal of the game at home to Castle Acre Swifts. Third-placed Morley Village lost again being beaten 4-2 by Shropham United.

In the other match, Saham Toney Reserves beat Sporle 5-2.

Most Read

The Division Three leaders Thurton and Ashby were without a game and Breckland Wanderers have moved up to second after narrowly beating Narborough Reserves 2-1 in a very close game. Methwold Rovers won 7-2 at Wendling to stay fourth and Bawdeswell are fifth after their 6-0 win at bottom team Shipdham Reserves. Rockland United Reserves completed their fixtures with a 5-1 home defeat at Gressenhall Reserves and are therefore relegated.

Rampant Horse move another place up to third in Division Four after their 4-1 win at Nostro Reserves North Elmham Reserves beat Scarning United 2-0 while Colkirk won 4-2 at Weasenham Wanderers. The other match between Tugas United and Tacolneston Reserves ended in a 1-1 draw.

The Division Four leaders Mulbarton Wanderers Reserves won 2-1 at Tacolneston Reserves and Diss Town A stay second following their record breaking spree against the luckless Dereham Cockers United. Rampant Horse are up to third after their 4-2 home win over North Elmham Reserves.

Nostro Reserves moved out of the bottom two by beating Weasenham Wanderers 4-3 while Beetley United ran out 1-0 home winners over Tugas United. In the other match Colkirk won 2-0 at Mattishall A.

In the replay of the Chequered Flag Primary League Cup semi-final, Hethersett Athletic beat West End by the odd goal of three while in the Dick Davey Ambulance Cup semi-final, North Elmham beat Stoke Ferry 4-2 to set up a final date with Diss Town A on April 27 at Aldiss Park.

In the remaining Fen Regis Invitation Shield second round match, Hingham Athletic Reserves won 3-2 at Splitz United and will entertain Rockland United in the semi-final while Necton and Beetley United will contest the other semi-final, both to be played next Saturday.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter