Take two for Vauxhall Mallards and Sprowston in Norfolk Twenty20 Cup final
Vauxhall Mallards and Sprowston will try again tonight in the final of the NW Brown & Co Norfolk Twenty20 Cup following last week's postponement at Manor Park.
The ground was too wet last Friday for the showpiece occasion to go ahead, but after a week of sunshine the stage looks set for the two teams to compete for the �1,000 prize.
Norfolk Alliance Premier Division Sprowston are surprise finalists after beating East Anglian Premier League side Great Witchingham in the semi-finals. Mallards will be aiming to win the competition for the first time since 2005.
Play starts at Manor Park at 6pm, with gates opening at 5.30pm. Entry costs �2 for adults, with concessions for under-16s.
It is the first fixture of a big cup weekend for Sprowston, who on Sunday host Garboldisham in the semi-finals of the Carter Cup.
You may also want to watch:
They will be playing for the right to meet Norwich in the final after their surprise win against Swardeston last Sunday at Postwick.
Swardeston chose to bat first and all of their top five made starts, but none went on to post a half-century. Peter Lambert and Michael Parlane both made 30, but Ben Flanagan took three for 37 as the visitors were restricted to 179 for nine from their 60 overs.
- 1 Norwich sees biggest rise in Covid infection rates in the country
- 2 Hotel 'nobody wants to buy' for sale as housing for £365,000
- 3 Nine Norfolk flood alerts ahead of Storm Christoph
- 4 Man who died in west Norfolk crash named
- 5 Man who drove 128 miles for fish and chips among latest Covid fines
- 6 Builder took pink pill and ran naked around hotel
- 7 Going full term during this coronavirus pandemic fills me with absolute terror
- 8 Delivery van towed from deep water on road closed due to flood risk
- 9 Part of seventh skeleton discovered in city street
- 10 Aviva to close two large office sites in Norwich
Norwich always looked in control, as opener Olly Higenbottam led the way with an unbeaten 79 from 107 balls. Aaron Watson added 42 and his brother, Ashley (30no) helped Higenbottam see Norwich to victory in the 37th over.
Sprowston's hopes of success in the NACO Invitation Cup fell by the wayside on Sunday as they lost to North Runcton in a closely-fought semi-final.
Sprowston batted first and made 168 for eight, John Glozier top scoring with 37.
Peter Coote then hit 55 as Runcton won by two wickets with three balls to spare, despite Rob Purton taking three wickets.
Runcton will face Old Buckenham in the final after they won by three wickets at Downham.
Ian Harrison hit 62 and Patrick Yates added 49 as Downham posted 246 for eight from their 50 overs, Andy Lawrence taking four for 47.
Half-centuries from James Alexander (56) and James Heaney (58no) saw Bucks home with more than three overs to spare.
The final will be at Great Witchingham on Sunday, August 26, starting at noon.
• The quarter-final draw has been made in the Frankly Digital Norfolk Alliance's junior competitions.
U11: Gt Melton v Bungay, Gt Witchingham v Bradfield, Vauxhall Mallards v Horsford, Topcroft v Garboldisham
U13: Mulbarton v Ashmanhaugh & Barton Wanderers, Fakenham v Bungay, Acle v Swardeston-CEYMS, Topcroft v Gt Melton
U15: Garboldisham v Bradenham, Fakenham v Swardeston-CEYMS, Acle v Lowestoft, Hales & Loddon v Vauxhall Mallards
• Follow Gavin Caney's live updates from tonight's Norfolk Twenty20 Cup final on Twitter @edpcricket