Switch could seal one eel of a catch
WEST NORFOLK & THE FENS: What a week last week was. Jog pants and a T-shirt by the end of it, rather than the usual piker's garb.
It seemed every other take came not from the intended pike, but something which could shred baits and strip them to the bone, with barely a twitch on the float.
They say when the trees are in bud, the eels come out of the mud. A mild autumn spell, with a few days of southerly wind seems to get them on the feed as well. A switch of bait from sea deads to legally obtained, Defra-registered eel obtained from a sustainable source that doesn't threaten the viability of the species saw a thumping run that could only be one thing. Only problem was it was the wife's rod.
One or two are starting to come out now the weed is starting to die down and – last week aside – the temperatures too. This has to be the best time of the year to fish in the Fens. You can enjoy both dawn and dusk in a day without having to get up at some unearthly hour.
Anglers on Ten Mile Bank have been catching fish nudging the magical 2lb mark, reported from Modney and Danby Drove. Seed baits are obviously coming into their own. Tench have been showing in the mild spell around the Chapel, while big perch have also been putting in an appearance – worm is the going bait for both.
You may also want to watch:
Bream have been caught around the Wissey Mouth, groundbait and plenty of it is the tactic there. Shepherd's Port is still producing silvers and skimmers.
- 1 Brother and sister found dead in their home are named
- 2 Reward of £20,000 offered after theft of performance car worth £150,000
- 3 When are GCSE and A-level results out and how fair will grades be?
- 4 Man jailed for stealing underwear and sex toy from village house
- 5 'It did not deliver': Glamping site vows to improve after guests hit out
- 6 Villagers in shock after woman dies in suspected murder
- 7 Woman admits causing deaths of Norfolk couple in road crash
- 8 'She loved planting flowers' - Tributes left at home of woman found dead
- 9 Norwich City transfer rumours: Talks held with United full-back
- 10 Man arrested on suspicion of murder after woman dies in village