Swardeston seal T20 title at EAPL finals
- Credit: Eastern Daily Press © 2015
Swardeston won the East Anglian Premier League Twenty20 competition at Woolpit.
The reigning EAPL champions competed against Bury St Edmunds, Frinton-on-Sea and Mildenhall in the T20 finals day.
The Norfolk side faced Frinton in the semi-finals, with the Essex club winning the toss and batting first.
Fifty from opener Michael Griggs set Frinton on their way and 39 from skipper Kyran Young kept the scoreboard ticking over, for a total of 142-8, with captain Mark Thomas, Matthew Taylor and George Walker taking two wickets for Swardeston.
Openers Peter Lambert (49) and Jordan Taylor (22) got Swardeston off to a strong start and then Joe Gatting teed up the victory with an unbeaten 54 – following on from his remarkable 118 from 56 balls against Sudbury on Saturday – as their target was reached with seven overs to spare.
Swardeston then won with seven wickets to spare in the final against Mildenhall.
You may also want to watch:
After bowling out their opponents for 146, 41 from openers Lambert (24) and Jordan Taylor (30) again set up the win, with wicketkeeper Stephen Gray scoring an unbeaten 50 and Lewis Denmark hitting 26 to seal the title.
- 1 Man in his 50s dies after head-on collision on A143
- 2 'Never seen anything like it' - Norfolk Christmas shopping frenzy has begun
- 3 'Landmark' former Tuttles store could be set for new lease of life
- 4 How Norfolk are you? Take this quiz to find out
- 5 Chantry Place 'close to finalising deals' with four major brands
- 6 Air ambulance and coastguard attend incident on Sheringham beachfront
- 7 Brown Derbies and Bender sausages, when Wimpy ruled fast food
- 8 Norfolk RSPCA store appears on Rip Off Britain
- 9 Norfolk roadworks to be aware of this week
- 10 Paddy Davitt verdict: The end game is upon us