Swardeston lose top spot as rivals get a game in – and win it

Carter Cup semi-final - Brooke (bowling/fielding) v Swardeston (batting).Richard Sims in bat.The gam

Carter Cup semi-final - Brooke (bowling/fielding) v Swardeston (batting).Richard Sims in bat.The game was eventually called off due rain.Picture: James Bass - Credit: Eastern Daily Press © 2015

Swardeston lost their position at the top of the table after a rare rain-affected day in the Gibbs Denley East Anglian Premier League.

While the leaders were left clicking their heels after Friday's deluge Cambridge Granta managed to get a full game in – and won it convincingly to move four points ahead of their rivals.

Granta made 239 for six against Burwell, with Jonathan Atkinson scoring 61 early on and Lewys Hill (63 not out) and Michael Pepper (31 not out) then putting on an unbroken 101 for the seventh wicket.

That proved more than enough for an impressive 30-point haul as their near neighbours were dismissed for 165 in the 42nd over, with Scott Copperfield taking three wickets.

Copdock and Ipswichian and Frinton also made modest gains on the inactive leaders after battling it out to a draw in the only other match to beat the weather.

You may also want to watch:

Frinton made 228 for eight (Michael Griggs 69, Matthew Foakes 55, Matthew Waring 5-45) and then had Copdock clinging on at 182 for nine when stumps were drawn.

Chris Warn ensured his side got a reasonable return from the game with an unbeaten 62.

Most Read

The last of the heavy rain had passed through Norfolk by the time the two scheduled derby games in the county were due to get under way on Saturday morning.

But sadly the damage had already been done, with saturated outfields meaning Swardeston's trip to Manor Park and Norwich's home game with Great Witchingham both had to be called off.

Vauxhall Mallards' scheduled trip to Woolpit and Saffron Walden's home match with Bury St Edmunds went the same way.

The unseasonable weather also put paid to Sunday's two scheduled Carter Cup semi-finals, both of which will now be replayed next Sunday.

As was the case at Manor Park both matches got under way on schedule before the rain arrived just before lunchtime to send players scurrying towards the pavilion.

At Postwick, Norwich had reached 65 for three after 21.2 overs against Vauxhall Mallards when the umpires called a halt to proceedings.

Oly Higenbottam (17), Sam Pointer (13) and Ashley Watson (19) were the batsmen to be dismissed, with Martin Addison, Paul Bradshaw and Devon Conway taking a wicket apiece.

Over at Brooke just over 20 overs were possible, with Swardeston reaching 94-2. Peter Lambert (25) and Richard Sims (11) were the men to go, with Callum Taylor (28 not out) and Stephen Gray (20 not out) in the process of putting together a decent third wicket partnership when the rain arrived.

Brooke won the game when it was originally played, but it was ordered to be replayed after disagreements about the eligibility of one of their players.

Whoever eventually comes through will meet in the final at Manor Park on Sunday, August 9 – although that date obviously depends on the two semi-finals reaching their conclusion next weekend.

The Lady Mary Trophy final between Acle and Beccles will take place at the same venue on August 23.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus