Swaffham win play-off to avoid relegation
- Credit: PA
Swaffham retained their place in Eastern Counties One with a five try to one victory in front of a large crowd to end their season on a high.
Cantabrigian seconds arrived as champions of EC2 West, having lost only twice in the league, but were no match for a side who had finished bottom of their table at the end of the regular season.
The visitors took the lead with an early penalty but 20 minutes into the game Swaffham finally got a reward for their impressive play when a catch and drive from a lineout resulted in a converted Potter try. Cantabs struck back with another penalty before a second home try followed as Swaffham again drove Cantabs back over the line and Milligan got the ball down, with a conversion to follow.
The Swaffham backs were attacking from deep and a fine move ended with a chip ahead and a try near the corner for Mustard which was again converted. Cantabs could only reply wth a penalty and the half ended with Swaffham leading 21-9.
Swaffham ended any hopes of a fightback by scoring twice in quick succession in the second half through DJ Barnard and Mustard after some excellent handling and support running.
You may also want to watch:
With the score at 36-9 some ferocious Cantabs attacks ended with two Swaffham players yellow carded for offside and the 13-man defence was breached as Cantabs scored a deserved consolation.
In the other play-off Colchester II beat Diss II 51-3 and will take the place of promoted Southwold as the first second team to qualify at this level.
- 1 Man and woman found dead in home
- 2 Neighbours' horror after two people found dead in 'peaceful close'
- 3 Man, 41, charged with Pat Holland's murder as human remains found
- 4 When are GCSE and A-level results out and how fair will grades be?
- 5 Man arrested on suspicion of murder after woman dies in village
- 6 Reward of £20,000 offered after theft of performance car worth £150,000
- 7 Villagers in shock after woman dies in suspected murder
- 8 Hardware store owners retiring after more than 60 years
- 9 Norfolk seaside holiday park battles Shell over solar panel plans
- 10 Woman who bit an officer among eight people arrested in town