Super hero Jamie takes Wroxham into semi-finals

Wroxham 3 Gorleston 2

Jamie Forshaw inspired, and then completed, a stirring Wroxham comeback to send holders Gorleston crashing out of the Norfolk Senior Cup at Trafford Park.

The former King's Lynn and Lowestoft striker was introduced immediately after Christy Finch had scored his second goal of the night to put the Greens 2-0 up nine minutes into the second half.

And he instantly turned the course of the tie with a fine run which ended with an unselfish lay-off for Ben Thompson to get Wroxham back in the game.

Martin McNeill headed the equaliser from a Forshaw corner midway through the half. And although Paul McKenna came close to putting Gorleston back in front when he hit an upright soon after, it was left to Forshaw to complete the turnaround with he crashed home a left-footed half volley from 15 yards five minutes from time.

He almost rubbed salt in the Greens' wounds in injury time when another effort was brilliantly saved by Jack Whatmough. But he had done more than enough to book the Yachtsmen their place in Friday's semi-final draw.

That had seemed far away when Finch, who had put the visitors in front after less than two minutes, pounced for a second time early in the second half to take his tally for the season to 16 in 18 games.

Most Read

But there had been worrying signs for their manager, former Wroxham stalwart Stewart Larter, when his already depleted side lost Zak Clarke and Reece Hunn to injuries shortly before the interval – Hunn suffered from a nasty-looking gash to his face.

Wroxham, rocked by Finch's goal, thought they had equalised four minutes later when Ross Durrant's fine strike was ruled out for offside.

But they controlled most of the first half with Gavin Lemmon's 25-yard free-kick forcing a good save from Whatmough and Andy Eastaugh firing over from 15 yards.

At the start of the second half Gorleston had a let off when Jamie Speller, a half-time substitute for Jones, glanced a header wide.

It looked to be a costly miss for the home side as Finch got his second witihin a minute with a low strike into the bottom corner.

But that was before the arrival of Forshaw as, four minutes later, the fightback began.

The line-up for the last four will be completed on Wednesday evening when Cromer Town entertain Diss Town in a quarter-final replay (7.45pm).

Despite playing their football at a lower level the Crabs had by far the better of Saturday's tie at Diss, which ended in a goalless draw, and will be looking to complete the job at Cabbell Park.

Norwich City Under-21s and Spixworth booked their semi-final places at the weekend with wins over King's Lynn Town and Reepham respectively.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter