One change for derby clash as Norfolk look to build on excellent win
- Credit: Archant
Local bragging rights are on the line as Norfolk travel across the border to take on Suffolk tomorrow.
Chris Brown's team made a great start to their Unicorns Minor Counties Championship campaign when they beat reigning Eastern Division champions Lincolnshire with 10 wickets to spare.
That was despite fielding four debutants, including youngsters Will Rogers and Callum Metcalf, with Chris Brown and Ashley Watson taking five wickets apiece in either innings and Sam Arthurton racking up 222 runs.
That match concluded on June 26, so the squad have had to wait patiently for the chance to build on that impressive start, but the skipper is not worried by that break.
'We've had in the back of our minds that we've got the Minor Counties T20 finals day coming up at Wormsley on August 26 after that great day at Lincs but all the lads have still been playing league games, so I'm not concerned,' Brown said.
'We've made one change to the team because Callum Metcalf has been called up for the Nottinghamshire Under-17s but we've had several unavailable through work, holiday or injury, including Freddie Ruffel, Matt Plater, Stephen Marillier and Tom Oxley.
You may also want to watch:
'So we've gone for a young lad who's come through our system and been doing really well for the Lions in Matt Bint from Old Buckenham. We performed really well against the champions so we'll look to try and take that form forward. I couldn't have asked for any more than what the lads gave us.'
Suffolk bounced back from a 185-run defeat at Staffordshire in their opening game with a 163-run home victory over Bedfordshire a fortnight ago, with former Horsford, Norfolk and Essex batsman Jaik Mickleburgh's unbeaten 173 in the second innings proving pivotal and Tom Rash taking 8-86 during the match.
- 1 Brother and sister found dead in their home are named
- 2 Villagers in shock after woman dies in suspected murder
- 3 Man arrested on suspicion of murder after woman dies in village
- 4 When are GCSE and A-level results out and how fair will grades be?
- 5 Reward of £20,000 offered after theft of performance car worth £150,000
- 6 Neighbours' horror after two people found dead in 'peaceful close'
- 7 Man, 41, charged with Pat Holland's murder as human remains found
- 8 Norwich City transfer rumours: Talks held with United full-back
- 9 'She loved planting flowers' - Tributes left at home of woman found dead
- 10 Man dumped rubbish at beauty spot after he 'forgot to put his bins out'
'We know all of them from playing against them in the EAPL and they are always competitive games,' Brown added. 'So I'm expecting another tough contest but we'll just concentrate on ourselves.
'It's normally a very good pitch at Copdock so it should be a good game.'
The three-day game is being played at Copdock & Old Ipswichian CC (11am starts).
Norfolk: Sam Arthurton, Jason Reynolds, Tom New, Will Rogers, Ashley Watson, Ben France, Matt Bint, Chris Brown (C), Andy Hanby, Sam Groves (WK)
Suffolk squad: Jaik Mickleburgh, Jed Cawkwell, Kyran Young, Darren Ironside, Jack Beaumont, Ben Shepperson, Mike Comber, Tom Rash, Adam Mansfield (WK & C), Josh Cantrell, Ollie Bocking, Jake Foley