Sudbury 46, Wymondham 8

Forced into last minute changes in personnel and positions as a result of injuries failing to heal, Wymondham slipped further towards the foot of the table.

The tone was set just five minutes into the game when the strong running Sudbury backs cut through the improvised Wymondham midfield and scored under the posts.

The early score gave Sudbury the confidence to run at Wymondham and after 13 minutes from a line-out on their left wing, they spun the ball across the field and finished with a try wide on the right.

At 12-0 down and only 18 minutes played, Wymondham suffered another blow when hard-tackling back row Sam Hodgson was forced from the field with a leg injury.

The Red and Blacks began to show the patterns that they have practised all season and put together a number of excellent phases of play. Having progressed to the Sudbury 22, however, a knock-on gave the Sudbury scrum-half possession and, with all the Wymondham players in attack, he scampered the length of the field to score under the posts.

Not only had Wymondham conceded another seven points, but young hooker Tom Masters was left in a heap with a twisted knee and was unable to continue.

There was some consolation for Wymondham when Sims kicked a penalty given for offside but the respite was short-lived as Sudbury bagged possession from the restart and waltzed through for another try under the posts to make it 24-3.

Most Read

The second half proved no better for Wymondham as, straight from the re-start, Sudbury moved the ball quickly to their wing where Brugger made a solid tackle but Sudbury had men in support and crashed over.

Wymondham were having more of the play but Sudbury broke yet again and, with quick hands and strong running, scored wide on the right.

Wymondham came back strongly and Duckham was just held up over the line but, with continued pressure, they won a line-out on the right and rolled a maul over the line for Josh Wright to score.

The Red and Blacks were now carrying walking wounded but had used all their replacements to replace players injured earlier in the game. Sudbury took full advantage and ran in two more tries to finish the game with the score at 46-8.