Cains rounds off impressive season by winning Norfolk 0rder of Merit
- Credit: Archant
Swaffham's Nic Cains rounded off a season remember in fine style at a chilly Sheringham Golf Club.
The young professional had to cope with a bitterly cold wind and a light dusting of snow as well as a strong field of challengers in the final Norfolk Order of Merit event of the season.
But he overcame everything that was thrown at him in impressive fashion to post a solid round of 72 that was good enough not only for the win on the day but also for overall success.
Cains went into the competition locked in a three-way battle for Order of Merit glory with Marriott Sprowston Manor's Chase Davis and defending champion Ian Ellis from Great Yarmouth and Caister.
It was the closest finish to the series that anyone could recall - but it was Cains who produced the final flourish as his rivals failed to mount a genuine challenge.
The conditions affected the scoring however and whereas in March winner Davis came home in 69 it was three shots more that won it for Cains.
In a close competition, four players came in just one shot adrift, Matthew Gardner (Barnham Broom), Lee Patterson (Royal Cromer) and home pair Charlie Bright and Mike Jubb.
- 1 'Squatter' couple become legal owners of land as saga continues
- 2 Weather warning issued as wintry showers expected to cause icy conditions
- 3 Teenager admits stabbing three people in Norwich city centre
- 4 'Oh God almighty, this woman!' - Zoom council meeting descends into chaos
- 5 Man stopped 504 people from getting jabs after gluing vaccine centre locks
- 6 Boss 'gutted' after scenes cut from Ed Balls' Who Do You Think You Are?
- 7 Weather warning in place as snow falls in parts of Norfolk and Waveney
- 8 OPINION: Delight when 'all you can eat' restaurants get their comeuppance
- 9 Luxury manor for sale with a 'Hobbit house' in the grounds
- 10 MP 'not concerned' about single Omicron case in north Norfolk
Davis ended up 19 points behind Cains in the overall standings while Ellis was a further six points back in third.
Cains has been the star performer on the Norfolk circuit this year, having completed a clean sweep of the Matchplay, 36 holes Championship and Order of Merit trophies.
The team event at Sheringham was also a close affair with Gardner's Barnham Broom team winning on seven under par. Details: 133 Matthew Gardner with Paul Dunning, Jon Hinson and Richard Phillips; 135 Lee Patterson with Jon Moore, Ed Doe and Nigel Ripley; 135 Ross Hudson (Wensum Valley) with Gary Haze, Simon Williams and Paul Rushbrooke; 135 Mike Jubb with Iain Taylor, Neil Milton and Fred Spink. Nearest the pin sixth: Jon Moore, 11th Aaron Stuttard.
Leading OOM positions: Nic Cains 84, Chase Davis 65, Ian Ellis 59, Matthew Gardner 49, Mark Spooner (Bawburgh) 35, Jason Groat (Denver) 28½, Mark Allen (Eaton) 18.
The annual meeting saw Alan Wright of Swaffham appointed as captain for 2018.