Cains rounds off impressive season by winning Norfolk 0rder of Merit
- Credit: Archant
Swaffham's Nic Cains rounded off a season remember in fine style at a chilly Sheringham Golf Club.
The young professional had to cope with a bitterly cold wind and a light dusting of snow as well as a strong field of challengers in the final Norfolk Order of Merit event of the season.
But he overcame everything that was thrown at him in impressive fashion to post a solid round of 72 that was good enough not only for the win on the day but also for overall success.
Cains went into the competition locked in a three-way battle for Order of Merit glory with Marriott Sprowston Manor's Chase Davis and defending champion Ian Ellis from Great Yarmouth and Caister.
It was the closest finish to the series that anyone could recall - but it was Cains who produced the final flourish as his rivals failed to mount a genuine challenge.
You may also want to watch:
The conditions affected the scoring however and whereas in March winner Davis came home in 69 it was three shots more that won it for Cains.
In a close competition, four players came in just one shot adrift, Matthew Gardner (Barnham Broom), Lee Patterson (Royal Cromer) and home pair Charlie Bright and Mike Jubb.
- 1 Escape to the Country names 'north Norfolk's seaside capital'
- 2 Anger as woodland used as 'playground and dustbin'
- 3 Pretty thatched cafe business on Broads for sale for £75,000
- 4 Giant Victorian underground reservoir marks supplying city for 150 years
- 5 Report into woman's murder by jealous ex: 'Employers must do more'
- 6 Homes plan to be revealed for former infant school
- 7 First look at five new homes released for sale at popular site in Taverham
- 8 Former village pub for sale as home
- 9 The areas where Covid rates have fallen the fastest since lockdown began
- 10 Norwich City star tipped to reject move to Tottenham
Davis ended up 19 points behind Cains in the overall standings while Ellis was a further six points back in third.
Cains has been the star performer on the Norfolk circuit this year, having completed a clean sweep of the Matchplay, 36 holes Championship and Order of Merit trophies.
The team event at Sheringham was also a close affair with Gardner's Barnham Broom team winning on seven under par. Details: 133 Matthew Gardner with Paul Dunning, Jon Hinson and Richard Phillips; 135 Lee Patterson with Jon Moore, Ed Doe and Nigel Ripley; 135 Ross Hudson (Wensum Valley) with Gary Haze, Simon Williams and Paul Rushbrooke; 135 Mike Jubb with Iain Taylor, Neil Milton and Fred Spink. Nearest the pin sixth: Jon Moore, 11th Aaron Stuttard.
Leading OOM positions: Nic Cains 84, Chase Davis 65, Ian Ellis 59, Matthew Gardner 49, Mark Spooner (Bawburgh) 35, Jason Groat (Denver) 28½, Mark Allen (Eaton) 18.
The annual meeting saw Alan Wright of Swaffham appointed as captain for 2018.