Success for City of Norwich Athletics Club team at South of England Cross Country Championships
- Credit: Submitted
The under-15 girls team at City of Norwich Athletics Club (Conac) have been celebrating after retaining their title at the South of England Cross Country Championships.
The Conac U15 girls team won U13 gold at the event in Brighton last year and enjoyed the same success at a muddy Parliament Hill in south-west London.
The girls packed well in the early stages with Nelly Porter and Meredith Windship leading the way. As in the Norfolk Cross Country Championships, held that same week, these two athletes stayed very close together throughout the race.
Both girls used their experience to pick up places throughout the race and especially on the fast downhill finish, where Meredith pulled clear to earn a fantastic sixth place. Nelly fought hard for her position and was rewarded with a fine ninth position.
They were supported by Ellie Taylor and relative newcomer Emma Hunter, who also finished in close order in 21st and 22nd. With all four athletes finishing in the top 25 these four secured team gold medals for City of Norwich.
You may also want to watch:
They were also joined at the event by Katie Goldsmith, Rachel Bruce, Siew Yen Loke, Sophie Peach, Naryce Anderson and Lucy Emmett, many of whom have worked with head coach David Pring since a young age.
- 1 Risk of flooding in parts of region as storms slowly move in
- 2 Man taken to hospital after cardiac arrest at beach
- 3 Eagle-eyed plane spotter saves pilot's life
- 4 Incredible aerial photos show scale of Latitude Festival
- 5 Trains cancelled due to flooding - and more heavy rain expected
- 6 Former hunting lodge for sale for £1.695m with huge lake
- 7 City ready for Cantwell and Aarons end game
- 8 Never mind the limo - aspiring farmer rides tractor to prom night
- 9 Norwich Bus Station building closed due to Covid ping
- 10 'Do your bit to slow spread' - plea as Covid hospital admissions remain low