Stuttering Wisbech unable to halt Yachtsmen

Wroxham moved 10 points clear at the top of the Premier Division as the year ended in perfect fashion for David Batch's men.

After the Yachtsmen's 2-1 win against one of the sides hoping to catch them, Wisbech Town, their nearest rivals Brantham Athletic slipped to a 3-0 home defeat against Walsham-le-Willows.

Wisbech started the day 14 points behind Wroxham with two games in hand and they had an early chance to take the lead. Ex-Fenman Paul Cousins tried to play the ball into touch, but it was retrieved by a Wisbech player who crossed to the unmarked Ollie Gale, but he headed over.

Wroxham responded with a Shaun Howes free-kick which went just over, before Jon Fairweather headed wide for the visitors from a corner.

Wisbech had the ball in the net shortly afterwards when Nick Davey found the target with an overhead kick, but the referee had already blown for an infringement.

You may also want to watch:

The hosts began to take charge and Cousins' header flashed wide before Gary Gilmore also went close. The pressure finally told four minutes before half-time when Howes' cross was punched into his own net by Wisbech keeper Ryan Rayner, who claimed he had been impeded, but the goal was allowed to stand.

At the start of the second half, Wroxham's Ben Thompson turned sharply and shot narrowly wide, before Matty Lunn again put the ball in the net for Wisbech, but play had already been pulled back for offside.

Most Read

The Yachtsmen doubled their lead on 55 minutes when Danny Self's free-kick found Thompson and he squeezed the ball in off a post.

Wroxham keeper Scott Howie denied Lunn with an excellent save as Wisbech tried to force a way back into the game.

He pulled off another stop on 70 minutes, but this time the rebound fell to Davey and he stroked the loose ball into the net. Howie then maintained Wroxham's lead by keeping out Adam Millson's goalbound strike as the hosts were forced onto the back foot.

Wroxham were denied the cushion of a third goal when Thompson's effort was ruled out for offside, but the Yachtsmen were able to resist the late pressure and hand Wisbech a fourth defeat in their last five league games.

Great Yarmouth conceded eight goals for the second time this season as they crashed to an 8-1 defeat at home to Woodbridge.

The Bloaters had been lifted by their Boxing Day draw against Gorleston, but manager Mike Derbyshire was absent from the dug-out on Saturday due to a family issue, with assistant Lee Henwood taking charge.

The hosts found themselves 4-0 down at half-time and conceded three more before Charlie McAara netted a consolation strike on 76 minutes. The misery was not yet over for Yarmouth, however, as Woodbridge added their eighth three minutes later – the 92nd goal shipped by the Bloaters in 24 league games.

Kirkley & Pakefield picked a point from their trip to Felixstowe & Walton with a 1-1 draw.

Jack Herbet was on target for the Royals as they remained one place and two points behind their hosts.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter