Students are stunned as City hit back

EAST MEN'S LEAGUE: Norwich City claimed their second win of the season as they fought back from a two-goal deficit to beat Cambridge University II 4-3.

Norwich City claimed their second win of the season as they fought back from a two-goal deficit to beat Cambridge University II 4-3.

The students stormed into a 2-0 lead, but Charlie Horn reduced the arrears and Jim Pallister levelled matters going into half-time.

Stuart Wardle bravely dived in to meet Jake Vincent's cross-shot and give City the lead, before Cambridge had a player sent off for a foul on Pallister.

Chris Perry's aerial ball found Toby Leonard and he fed Jez Elliott to score the fourth, before the students ensured a tense finish by scoring their third immediately afterwards.

Dereham maintained their 100pc record, beating Wisbech 2-1 at home to stay top of the table.

Wisbech tried to restrict Dereham's flowing game in a tough first half, but the hosts broke through when Will Edwards slotted in a rebound after Andy Lawrence had hit a post.

Most Read

Wisbech were twice reduced to 10 men in the first half as the tackles continued to fly in.

Dereham created more chances after the break, but found the Wisbech keeper in magnificent form. Eventually Michael Timms released Sam Plater and he maintained his impressive scoring run to make it 2-0.

The hosts continued to dominate and two more Wisbech players were sent to the sin bin, with right-back Ed Turner instrumental in much of Dereham's good work.

Wisbech were limited to short corner opportunities and they converted one late on, but Dereham never looked in danger of letting their grip on the game slip.

Norwich Dragons conceded three late goals against Spalding, but it did not matter as they had already built a 5-0 advantage.

Snelling gave Dragons a first half lead and after the break it was increased by Brown (2), Bell and Miles, before Spalding's late, fruitless surge.

Norwich City II were denied victory by a late March equaliser in a 4-4 Division 2N draw at Taverham.

March seized the initiative with two first half goals, but City were spurred into action and Matt Brine rocketed the ball into the bottom corner to make it 2-1 at half-time.

The visitors restored their two-goal cushion before man of the match Brine bagged his second of the day. Chris Baker then pulled City level and they took the lead with seven minutes remaining as Brine fired into the top corner to complete his hat-trick.

City were down to 10 men as Mark Circuit was sin-binned, but some last ditch defending saw them hold out until March finally grabbed an equaliser.

Gabriel Marchant scored an equalising goal for Norwich City III against Harleston Magpies V, but Magpies scored twice more to clinch the points in a Division 4NE encounter.

City's fourth team crashed in nine goals against Harleston Magpies VI, with Tim Crane (3), Al Paterson (2), Mike Marrison (2), Sam Sharples and Tim Armstrong all on target.

North Walsham III allowed a lead to slip away as they lost 2-1 to Division 6NE leaders Bury IV. Mills gave Walsham the advantage but they could not hold on.

Mike Banham and Chris Harrison were on the scoresheet as Norwich Dragons III beat Dereham VI 2-0.