Striker leads from front for buoyant Dereham Town
- Credit: IAN BURT
Shaun Bammant was literally head and shoulders above the rest, on Saturday as he helped Dereham Town see off Ryman North strugglers Waltham Forest.
The striker bagged the Magpies' first two goals and set up their third, as they bounced back from last week's disappointing defeat against Redbridge.
Magpies boss Matt Henman said: 'Shaun has been excellent recently and I'm really pleased with the way he carried his form into Saturday's game. He took his penalty really confidently and always is a player who you can count on to lead from the front.
'Shaun has really come into a rich vein of form over the past few weeks and I'm sure he can keep it going over the final seven games of our season. We still have a chance of sneaking into the play-offs and we will do everything we can to make sure we do.'
After a strong spell of Dereham pressure, Bammant opened his account for the afternoon after 17 minutes, when he volleyed home Kay's powerful free-kick after a deflection off a Stag's defender.
Just five minutes later and Dereham were awarded a penalty after Bammant was brought to the ground by Emmaunel Bella. Bammant dusted himself down to score from the spot. Dereham then had to wait until midway through the second half to seal the points. Bammant flicked on Sam Borrer's long ball over the top, allowing Adam Smith to finish from the edge of the penalty area.
Danny Beaumont completed the rout with a fine finish two minutes from time.
- 1 Case of Omicron Covid variant confirmed in north Norfolk
- 2 'Squatter' couple become legal owners of land as saga continues
- 3 Norfolk college named best secondary school in the UK
- 4 Shocking footage appears to show £100m Marham jet crashing off carrier
- 5 Man charged with drink driving after crash at police station
- 6 ‘This was our worst nightmare’: Locals shock after man dies in crash
- 7 Woman with scissors said she wanted to murder someone at supermarket
- 8 Waste carrier fined £1,900 after metal and containers found in woodland
- 9 Transport plans approved despite 'lack of' climate change measures
- 10 Long-awaited plans for A47 roundabout revamps revealed
Dereham: Wilton, Willis, Hawkins, Borrer, Howard, Morphew, Howell (Bussens 71), Smith (Sturman 76), Bammant, Kay, Downes (Beaumont 62). Subs: Simmons.