Stockport County 0 Lowestoft Town 2: Danny Crow flies to Blues’ rescue

Danny Crow of Lowestoft Town in action during the National League North match against Stockport Coun

Danny Crow of Lowestoft Town in action during the National League North match against Stockport County at Edgeley Park, Stockport.Picture by Michael Sedgwick/Focus Images Ltd +44 7900 36307202/04/2016 - Credit: Michael Sedgwick/Focus Images

The only thing missing from Lowestoft Town's fine victory at Stockport County was purely cosmetic.

Playing in their all-yellow away strip, the Trawlerboys could have done with some black hoops given the way their players buzzed about the Edgeley Park pitch.

There were several excellent performances from the visitors with blocks, tackles and vital clearances helping protect their goal from the Hatters attacks.

Up front all the good work centred around a waspish performance from striker Danny Crow.

Playing just off striker Ryan Jarvis, the former Norwich City and Peterborough United front man was a real pest to the home side popping up here, there and everywhere.

Although not everything he tried came off, Crow's constant willingness for the ball and flicks, tricks and passes bugged County all afternoon.

They were unable to neutralise his threat and he made them pay.

Most Read

Ten minutes in, his corner was only half cleared to Town defender Harry Kyprianou and his shot from the edge of the box was heading into the bottom corner until it was blocked by team-mate Andrew Fisk.

Despite losing Adam Smith to injury, the Trawlerboys remained on the front foot and Crow's clever pass to Jarvis saw the latter guide the ball a foot wide with keeper Ian Ormson beaten.

But a minute later, Crow was heavily involved again to help the Blues take a 39th-minute lead.

He won a sliding challenge with County defender Gareth Roberts on the edge of the home box before having the nous to slide a pass right to Dean Mason. The winger was in acres of space and coolly beat Ormson with a low shot from 15 yards to give Town a deserved lead.

Two minutes before the break and the visitors almost had a spectacular second. Crow was fouled 30 yards from goal and Kyprianou's stunning left-foot free-kick was crashed against the bar with Ormson rooted to the spot.

The Trawlerboys would have expected more from a tepid County side in the second half and that is exactly what happened.

Yet Town remained resolute in the face of a wave of County crosses and only former pros Kayode Odejayi and Sean O'Hanlon came close to breaching the visitors' defence, but both were off target.

At the other end, Crow and Jarvis were providing a threat on the counter attack, but the decisive goal came from a defensive calamity.

With the ball at keeper Ormson's feet, Crow closed him down. The stopper slipped, allowing Crow to nick the ball from him near to the corner of the box and dead-ball line.

As County players scrambled back and with Ormson facing him up, Crow fooled everyone by audaciously rolling the ball goalwards from a seemingly impossible angle.

He was celebrating before the ball crossed the line, along with the 15 Town fans in the away end who had the perfect view.

It was the perfect finish to a super display from the Blues to give them renewed vigour in their relegation fight.