Stars and stripes is a tempting offer for ex-King’s Lynn striker Dom Dwyer
- Credit: IAN BURT
Former King's Lynn striker Dom Dwyer could feature for the USA at the next World Cup on the back of his goalscoring exploits for Sporting Kansas in the MLS.
Dwyer's strike rate for Kansas has brought him to the attention of national boss Jurgen Klinsmann and the 23-year-old would be eligible to feature for the US from 2017 ahead of the next global showpiece in Russia the following year.
The ex-Norwich City youth prospect fired Sporting Kansas to the MLS Cup last season and has maintained his prolific scoring rate with 14 goals in 18 league games this time around.
'Every player wants to play on the international stage,' he said. 'I think if I were to get called in the future and have an opportunity, I think that's something every player would love to do and dream of. Obviously, the dream was always to play for England. I never thought I'd have an opportunity to play for anyone else. If the offer ever came to me though, I think it would be a difficult one to say no.
'I'm from England, born and raised there, but I've been in the US for quite a few years and have a lot of love for this country and enjoy being here.'
You may also want to watch:
The teenage Dwyer moved to the US on a football scholarship after leaving The Walks and speaking to MLSsoccer.com he admitted his chances of ever featuring for the country of his birth at international level appear remote.
'I don't know where I'll be in 2017. You don't know where you'll be tomorrow,' he said. 'So you have to just kind of take it as it comes, and if the opportunity comes – I'm not sure if Roy Hodgson's going to be calling me any time soon, so we'll just have to wait and see.'
- 1 Woman who died in A47 collision named
- 2 WATCH: Cars float on high tide in north Norfolk
- 3 "I thought I had freshers flu, but Drs said I could have died within a week"
- 4 RAF Marham Royal Navy sailor jailed for raping colleague while she slept
- 5 Sisters-in-law glowing after opening high street tanning salon
- 6 Farm shop owners 'absolutely thrilled' at national award
- 7 Nicole Kidman donates £10k to Norfolk dad's charity walk
- 8 'Neighbours ran outside screaming' during street fight in Golden Triangle
- 9 Teacher who supported hundreds of children through education dies aged 67
- 10 Norfolk RSPCA store appears on Rip Off Britain