Staines Town 2 Lowestoft Town 1: Blues undone on the road
- Credit: Nick Butcher
Lowestoft Town produced a much improved display away to Staines Town and were unlucky not to come away with at least a point from an open attacking game, writes Terry Lynes.
Lowestoft made two changes to their starting line-up with the fit again Jake Reed replacing the suspended Chris Henderson and Jamie Waite preferred in goal with Jake Jessup dropping down to the bench. The Trawlerboys options were again restricted with Ryan Jarvis and Shaun Bammant still injured and Andrew Fisk and Connor Deeks unavailable.
Lowestoft came under early pressure with the impressive Max Worsfold racing away down the left but the diving Jefferson Louis just failed to connect with his head from the edge of the six-yard box. Louis was soon in the thick of things and threaded a superb ball through to Kane Haysman who with just Waite to beat placed the ball outside of the upright.
Lowestoft were looking bright in attack with Reed looking sharp up front. However it was a foul on Joe Marsden which led to the Trawlerboys taking the lead. Adam Smith's free-kick was met at the near post by Reed who flicked the ball past the keeper.
The second half followed a similar pattern with both sides looking to go forward at every opportunity. Staines levelled the scores in the 59th minute with Worsfold getting past both Barker and Spillane and his low cross was turned in at the near post by former Blues striker Louis.
You may also want to watch:
The decisive moment came in the 70th minute when the referee awarded a harsh free-kick against Lowestoft as Rory McAuley, who had been sporting a bandage over a head injury sustained early in the game, and Louis tussling for a 50-50 bouncing ball. Worsfold took responsibility and placed his 25-yard free-kick around the wall and into the bottom corner of the net.
Lowestoft had chances late on but Staines held out.
- 1 Eagle-eyed plane spotter saves pilot's life
- 2 Former hunting lodge for sale for £1.695m with huge lake
- 3 Never mind the limo - aspiring farmer rides tractor to prom night
- 4 Town's long wait for new £37m bypass nearly over as funding agreed
- 5 'Too close to home': Neighbours' shock as body found at Mousehold Heath
- 6 Park issues warning over bacteria which is toxic to dogs
- 7 Queues in Norwich as hundreds flock to cider and sausage festival
- 8 Which? warning to avoid sun cream brand for children
- 9 'The vibe is good' - Return to normality on first day of Latitude Festival
- 10 City confirm midfielder exit
– Staines Town: Turner, Brewer, C Cole, Ahmidi, McKain, Vanderhyde, Haysman (Sub Miller-Rodney 72), D Brown, Louis (Sub Tison-Lascaris 78), Bettamer (Sub B Brown 90), Worsfold. Unused subs: Hippolyte, Behzadi
– Lowestoft Town: Waite, Barker, Blake-Tracy, Spillane, T Cole, Mcauley, Forshaw, Rossi Jarvis, Reed, Marsden (Sub Joel Glover 72), Smith. Unused subs: Fitzgerald, Josh Glover
– Attendance: 190