Staff and students at Norwich’s UEA nominated as torchbearers
Students and staff from the University of East Anglia have been nominated as official torchbearers for the London 2012 Olympic torch relay.
Melissa Ilboudo and James Colley have been nominated by UEA, along with pro-vice chancellor Prof Tom Ward, as torchbearers in the Olympic torch relay, sponsored by Samsung.
Chosen in recognition of their services to sport and to the university, they and UEA vice chancellor Edward Acton will join representatives and vice chancellors of 30 other universities including University College London, St Andrews and Cambridge at a dinner in London on December 1.
Miss Ilboudo, who is studying for a masters degree in climate change and international development, has raised �330,000 with matched funding from the EU for her home country of Burkina Faso since she arrived to study in the UK.
Meanwhile, chemistry student Mr Colley is a qualified and highly regarded hockey umpire and Prof Ward first took up a lectureship in maths at UEA in 1992 and served as head of school for five years before becoming pro-vice chancellor.
You may also want to watch:
PhD student Eileen Gallagher has been nominated as the UEA's reserve torchbearer. The relay, which starts in Land's End on May 19 2012, will involve 8,000 people carrying the torch across the UK during its 70 day journey.
Prof Ward said: 'I'm delighted that we can offer our students a once-in-a-lifetime experience in recognition of their hard work.'
- 1 Escape to the Country names 'north Norfolk's seaside capital'
- 2 Pretty thatched cafe business on Broads for sale for £75,000
- 3 Anger as woodland used as 'playground and dustbin'
- 4 Giant Victorian underground reservoir marks supplying city for 150 years
- 5 The areas where Covid rates have fallen the fastest since lockdown began
- 6 Report into woman's murder by jealous ex: 'Employers must do more'
- 7 Homes plan to be revealed for former infant school
- 8 First look at five new homes released for sale at popular site in Taverham
- 9 Former village pub for sale as home
- 10 Norwich City star tipped to reject move to Tottenham