St Neots 2, King’s Lynn 4

Lynn blew open the UCL Premier Division title race after inflicting St Neots first defeat of the season in front of a record 1,481 attendance at Rowley Park.

Steve Spriggs' hat-trick and Jack Defty's 32nd of the season cancelled out Lewis Webb's early penalty and former Premier League striker Stefan Moore's strike just before half-time.

Lynn can now go top on Tuesday night with a win at Cogenhoe after moving to within a point of next week's FA Vase opponents.

Defty's ricochet spooned into the net inside the opening two minutes but the big skipper was penalised for handball. New Saints' keeper Dave Hogan then hammered against Chris Bacon with the sides struggling to adapt to the blustery conditions.

Lewis Hilliard cut inside Jamie Alsop but Town old boy Webb was crowded out.

You may also want to watch:

Moore headed over on 11 minutes after the dangerous Hilliard had tricked his way into the box.

Ross Watson clattered Moore on 13 minutes inside the Town box to allow Webb to step up to hammer home the penalty. Spriggs scuffed at Hogan seconds later in a swift riposte from the visitors.

Most Read

Alex Street confidently claimed Hilliard's long range free kick on 23 minutes. Street then pulled off a fine double save to foil Moore and Webb's follow up with Watson poleaxed in the build up.

Spriggs fired Lynn level on 32 minutes with a cool close range finish after Bacon drove down the left before checking back to pick out his team mate.

Theo Davis tracked Defty's run to cut out Jamie Thurlbourne's probing pass with Lynn growing in confidence.

Moore clinically controlled Junior Konadu's reverese ball on his chest to rifle past Street into the bottom corner on 42 minutes to restore the hosts' lead. Defty caught Hogan in stoppage time trying to latch onto Jamie Thurlbourne's set piece.

Defty's wind-assisted hit flew well over on the restart but the intent was clear from Town with the conditions now in their favour. Spriggs calmy lifted around Hogan for his and Town's second after Defty flicked on Watson's throw.

Spriggs tried his luck again with a flick from Bacon 18 yards out which went well over as Saints struggled in the blustery conditions.

Moore skipped past Buhlemann but Alsop beat Hilliard to his cut back.

Defty poked Town in front on the hour mark from Street's booming goal kick on the galeforce wind with Hogan again left badly exposed.

Defty then stabbed against a post with a snap header as Town's huge away support drove on the visitors.

Spriggs completed his hat-trick when he drilled a right-footer past Hogan from the edge of the area then sidefooted a sharp chance for a fourth shortly after.

Street's magnificent reaction stop foiled Kieron Davies. Danny White hammered over on 80 minutes with Lynn looking to kill the game before Defty's sidefoot from the edge was deflected behind as Lynn played out the remaining minutes with few alarms.

• St Neots: Hogan, D Moore, Davis, Webb, Fuff, Fordham, Hilliard, Konadu (Davies 65), S Moore, Tolley, Jacob (Essandoh 77). Subs: Gent, Hyem, Scully, Trebes.

Booking: Tolley

Goals: Webb (13), Moore (42)

• King's Lynn: Street, Bexfield, Alsop, L Thurlbourne, Watson, Buhlemann, Spriggs ( Doherty 75), White, Defty, Bacon (Harris 77), J Thurlbourne. Subs: McNeil, Moriera, Hails

Booking: Alsop

Goals: Spriggs (32, 53, 65), Defty (60)

• Referee: G Kinnear

• Attendance: 1,481

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter