Bawburgh players take centre stage in annual SSAFA finals
- Credit: Archant
Playing over their home course at Bawburgh Golf Club, Mike Payne and Ray Bussey dominated the annual SSAFA Norfolk Seniors Tournament.
Playing from his six handicap, Payne scored an impressive 39 Stableford points, with his gross score being just three over the par, and this saw him take the individual trophy as champion golfer of the year.
He was well supported by club colleague Bussey, whose own performance was sufficient enough for the pair to also take the Champion Club Trophy with a combined score of 68 points.
Despite near perfect conditions for the time of year, the demands of the Bawburgh layout proved a real for most of the visitors from the 19 other participating Norfolk clubs.
A solid score of 36 points secured the individual runners-up prize for Sheringham's Paul Coxon, who played off an 11 handicap.
You may also want to watch:
Adrian Fell of Richmond Park was third overall with 34 points and he and club colleague Dave Packard secured a total of 63 points to claim the runners-up team prize.
The 2018 season has seen donations from clubs across the county reach over £6,000 to contribute to the support of armed forces veterans and their families.
- 1 'Vindicated at last' - Pension compensation on the horizon for WASPI women
- 2 Police child safety team raid house to arrest man
- 3 Banham Poultry evacuated in suspected chemical incident
- 4 Latitude labelled 'Covid fest' by health boss as staff forced to isolate
- 5 Holiday park bosses pay tribute to 'popular' worker murdered in Norfolk village
- 6 'Destination' fish and chip restaurant for sale
- 7 New virus named after Norfolk village
- 8 Eleven people taken to hospital after Banham Poultry chemical spill
- 9 The 5 most viewed homes on the market in Norfolk last month
- 10 Lord mayor criticises campaigner in email - and mistakenly copies them in
On behalf of the SSAFA charity, event organiser Ian Pilcher said: 'SSAFA Norfolk is immensely grateful to the management team of Bawburgh Golf Club, who presented the course and staged the whole event to a very high standard in all respects.
'The donors of prizes, including Marston's Brewery, the commanding officer of RAF Marham and the management of the Royal West Norfolk Golf Club, were truly appreciated.'
It was the 14th successful season of county-wide fundraising at Norfolk golf clubs to assist the work of SSAFA.
(Stableford points): 39 Mike Payne (Bawburgh), 36 Paul Coxon (Sheringham), 34 Adrian Fell (Richmond Park), 32 Bob Charles (Royal Cromer),31 Jon Olpin (Thetford), Mary Gamble (Bawburgh), Mary Tuddenham (Bawburgh), 30 Malcolm Boyce (Barnham Broom), Jim Drake (Hunstanton), Peter Matthews (Costessey Park), Bill Ward (Costessy Park), 29 Ray Bussey (Bawburgh), David Mitchell (Middleton Hall), Valerie Menden (Diss), Helena Honour (Diss), Roger Jones (Diss), Dave Packard (Richmond Park), 28 Gordon Cartwright (Royal Norwich), 27 Andy Hancock (Swaffham), Ron Ashdown (Diss), 26 Ian Palfrey (RAF Marham), Mike Smith (Heacham Manor).