Squash: Narrow defeat for Norfolk Over-50s
The Norfolk Over-50 team just missed out on a place in the final against Middlesex when they were narrowly beaten 3-2 by Avon in their semi-final of the Inter County Championship at The Hunts County Club, Cambridge.
They did, however, take some consolation from their third/fourth place off match against Wiltshire which they comfortably won 5-0.
Norfolk's semi-final got off to the worst possible start when the new county O55 champion, Peter Scott lost his fifth string match in straight games and then his former West Norfolk team-mate Nick Gollaglee was beaten 3-1 at No.3. The team drew level, howeve,r as Mike Livock turned in a tremendous performance to win his fourth string match 9-6 in the fifth and the county veterans champion John Cordeaux comfortably won his first string match in straight games.
Sadly for Norfolk Richard Millman has been carrying an injury all season which has severely restricted his mobility and while he can just about get away with it in the Norfolk leagues at this level he was struggling. Despite using his great racket skills to the full and putting up a brave fight in each game he was beaten 3-0 to give Avon a 3-2 victory and a place in the final against Middlesex who cruised to a 5-0 victory against Wiltshire.
Results: John Cordeaux beat Jeremy Goulding 9-5 9-7 9-0, Richard Millman lost to Mark Regan 6-9 7-9 6-9, Nick Gollaglee lost to Mark Taylor 9-1 1-9 8-10 3-9, Mike Livock beat Nick Drysdale 9-7 9-7 2-9 7-9 9-6, Peter Scott lost to Paul Barham 4-9 4-9 7-9
You may also want to watch:
The play-off match on the Sunday morning against Wiltshire which would decide third place was something of an anti-climax as the Norfolk team eased their way to a 5-0 victory dropping just one game along the way.
Results: Cordeaux beat Gary Preston 9-3 9-4 9-0, Millman beat Mike Stannard 9-5 9-4 10-8, Gollaglee beat Mike Hyland 6-9 9-3 9-6 9-7, Livock beat Clive Morgan 9-3 9-7 9-4, Scott beat Russell Bothwick 9-6 9-7 9-5.
- 1 Neighbours' horror after two people found dead in 'peaceful close'
- 2 Man, 41, charged with Pat Holland's murder as human remains found
- 3 Man and woman found dead in home
- 4 Man arrested on suspicion of murder after woman dies in village
- 5 When are GCSE and A-level results out and how fair will grades be?
- 6 Reward of £20,000 offered after theft of performance car worth £150,000
- 7 Villagers in shock after woman dies in suspected murder
- 8 Norfolk seaside holiday park battles Shell over solar panel plans
- 9 Hardware store owners retiring after more than 60 years
- 10 Woman who bit an officer among eight people arrested in town