Sprowston Sunday complete league and cup double

Division 2A champions Sprowston Sunday completed a league and cup double after a superb performance saw them lift the County Intermediate Cup as they crushed previous holders Bentinck Arms 5-1.

Sprowston were slow to start and fell behind after four minutes as Smith put the Lynn side ahead, but they responded well and were level within two minutes when an effort from Jamie Lawrence was adjudged to have crossed the line. With the game fairly even at this stage, Olly Bishop headed home a good free kick to put Sprowston ahead and Lawrence added his second before the break to give them a 3-1 interval lead. Josh Halliday made it four soon after the break and with his brother Matt pulling the strings in midfield, Sprowston were looking really comfortable. With ten minutes left Kieran Patel was brought down as he bore down on goal, and after the referee sent the defender off, Matt Halliday crashed the twenty-yard free-kick into the top corner. This was a great performance from Sprowston, whose attitude and behaviour on the day was a credit to the league.

By this time next week, we will know the destination of the Premier Division title. Marlborough's 8-1 victory at Unicorns saw them move to within five points of AFC Wanderers with two games left. They play Aylsham Sunday on Thursday evening (kick off 6.15pm) and then Reepham Town next Sunday, in games they must win. Acle Rangers finished their season with a single goal victory at home to Norwich Busmen.

In 1B, Spixworth Sunday were 6-4 winners at Norfolk CCSC who had goalkeeper Chris Brownbridge claiming two assists after some end of season positional switches. Craig Press (2), Adam Ford and an own goal were the Council scorers, who led 4-3 at the break. As for Spixworth it was their fourth win in five games, a great effort that took them away from the bottom of the table.

The last two games in 2A, brought wins for The Griffen and Stoke FC. The Griffen were 6-4 winners at home to Norman Wanderers Reserves whilst goals by Lewis Bush and Devon Briggs gave Stoke a 2-1 win at Green Man. Amos Bailey replied for the home side.

Hellesdon Reserves failed to gain the victory required at Riverside Rovers to take runners up spot in 3A.The game against the league champions ended in a 3-3 draw.

In 3B, Briston Wanderers were 5-2 winners at Taverham United, whilst DEF FC finished the season in sixth spot after a 2-0 win over Freethorpe.

Most Read

The battle of the basement teams in 4A saw Sporting Longdale move off the bottom of the table. The Coltishall based side came from 1-0 down at the interval to win 4-1 courtesy of goals by Stewart Halton (2), Jamie Platten and Nick Clark.

Congratulations to Schoolhouse FC. They lifted the 4B title in their first season after a 6-0 (Chris Hall 3, Joe McCarthy, Will Vincent and Jake Imrie) win at Spixworth Reserves and will hope to complete the double when they play in the County Sunday Junior Cup Final at Dereham next week