Sprowston reach final of Norfolk Twenty20 Cup with victory over Great Witchingham
A thrilling finish saw Sprowston spring a shock in the semi-finals of the Norfolk Twenty20 Cup last night, the Norfolk Alliance side beating East Anglian Premier League opponents Great Witchingham by one run at Manor Park.
Sprowston made 125 for eight from their 20 overs after being asked to bat, with skipper Simon Chipperfield (40) and Rob Purton (38) leading the way. James Spelman (3-0-18-2), Tom Collishaw (4-0-30-2) and Jonathan Spelman (2-0-12-2) were the Witches' leading bowlers.
Witchingham looked on course to make their target thanks to 49 from Carl Rogers and 25 from New Zealander Willie Lonsdale.
But, needing two to win off the last ball, Oli Howes was bowled by Andy Hanby – who was Sprowston's top bowler with three for 10 – to leave them on 124 for seven.
The second semi-final, between EAPL title rivals Swardeston and Vauxhall Mallards, takes place at Horsford tonight (6pm start) with the final scheduled for Friday, July 20.
You may also want to watch:
Sprowston, meanwhile, have two more semi-finals coming up, in the NACO Cup and the Carter Cup.
- 1 Man and woman found dead in home
- 2 Neighbours' horror after two people found dead in 'peaceful close'
- 3 Man, 41, charged with Pat Holland's murder as human remains found
- 4 When are GCSE and A-level results out and how fair will grades be?
- 5 Man arrested on suspicion of murder after woman dies in village
- 6 Reward of £20,000 offered after theft of performance car worth £150,000
- 7 Villagers in shock after woman dies in suspected murder
- 8 Hardware store owners retiring after more than 60 years
- 9 Norfolk seaside holiday park battles Shell over solar panel plans
- 10 Woman who bit an officer among eight people arrested in town