Spotlight on cup tussles

Centre of attention this weekend was the fourth round of the Ben Smith Memorial Cup, the Crown Fire Central and South Norfolk League's premier cup competition.

It turned out to be a good day for Division One teams with four of them making progress to the next round.

Bridgham United beat Wendling 4-2 while Dereham Town A ran out 4-3 home winners after extra time against the holders, Northwold S&SC. Gressenhall beat the current Division One leaders Thetford Rovers Reserves 3-1 and Cranworth won 5-3 at Nostro.

Two second division clubs made progress — Castle Acre Swifts beat Tugas United by the odd goal of three while Yaxham did likewise at home to Necton.

Only Methwold Rovers will carry the flag for the bottom two divisions into the fifth round following their 2-0 home win over Mulbarton Wanderers Reserves.

You may also want to watch:

There was just one match in Division One and Swaffham Town A won 2-1 at Rockland United to move up to third in the table.

In Division Two, Feltwell United and Shropham United shared the spoils from a 2-2 draw while Sporle beat Wymondham Town A 4-1 at home to climb out of the relegation places.

Most Read

Marham Wanderers are up to fourth in Division Three after beating Rockland United Reserves 6-1 and Breckland Wanderers move up to fifth after winning 3-2 at home to Splitz United Bawdeswell beat Narborough Reserves 7-1 and Gressenhall Reserves gained their first league win of the season with a comprehensive 7-0 victory from their trip to bottom team Shipdham Reserves.

Division Four leaders Shropham United Reserves were soundly beaten 6-0 at home by Mattishall A but the biggest story from the Division was caused by bottom team Dereham Cockers United who recorded their first win with a 2-0 success at Weasenham Wanderers after a run of 12 consecutive defeats.

Beetley United ran up the highest score of the day in their 8-1 home win over Nostro Reserves and Rampant Horse and Tacolneston Reserves took a point each from a 3-3 draw.

In the outstanding Mervyn Lambert Plant Hire Pease League Cup Third Round tie, Diss Town A won 7-1 at Thurton and Ashby to set up a home semi-final tie against Bawdeswell. The other semi-final will be between Marham Wanderers and Tugas United

The first round of the Dick Davey Ambulance Cup was played with most results going to league form. The one exception was that Hethersett Athletic from Division Two beat first division club Cockers 2-1.

Winners from Division One were Narborough who beat Great Ryburgh by the same scoreline and Hingham Athletic who won 3-2 at Tacolneston. It was a good day for North Elmham who ran out 7-2 winners at Hingham Athletic Reserves while their reserve team were 4-2 home winners over Scarning United. Saham Toney Reserves beat Colkirk 3-1, Stoke Ferry were 3-0 home winners over Great Cressingham and Shipdham beat West End by the same score.

In the Norfolk Primary Cup Fifth Round, Morley Village's run came to an end when they were beaten 3-1 at Hopton.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter