Southwold score late try to pip Thetford in classic game of rugby

Joe Block scored a dramatic late try for Southwold at Thetford. Picture: Linda Cayley

Joe Block scored a dramatic late try for Southwold at Thetford. Picture: Linda Cayley - Credit: Archant

A fantastic advert for rugby in general, never mind the London EC3, saw Southwold edge past promotion rivals Thetford to maintain their position at the top of the league.

It was a scintillating game from start to finish but it took 30 minutes for the opening score when Joe Block offloaded to Callum Anthony who forced his way over for a great try which went uncoverted.

Back came Thetford with a long penalty and then the home centre ran through seven Wold tackles to score a fantastic individual try under the posts to make it 10-5 to the hosts at half-time.

Wold were back on the scoresheet just one minute into the second half when Block made the initial break down the blindside wing. Chippy Middleditch, backing up well, made more good metres on the left before Zak Loader crashed over for the try and this time Josh Wallis was spot on with the conversion.

The lead was shortlived as Thetford converted a long range penalty after Wold had offended at a line-out but on the 50-minute mark Wold stole the ball in the loose and Ollie Carlstrom broke away down the right to put Dominic Hill over for a great try in the corner.

Wallis calmly slotted over from the touch line to make it 13-19.

The rugby was fast and furious, with neither team giving an inch, and Thetford got their noses back in front five minutes from time.

Most Read

They kicked for territory and won the ball back just inside the 22. Wold foiled attempt after attempt but eventually the ball went out wide on the right for the winger to score just inside the flag. Wold were still a point to the good but a great kick from the touchline silenced the travelling supporters and Thetford were back in front.

Wold kicked off knowing they were running out of time but they kept the home side pinned in their 22 for the next three minutes.

Thetford held strong until Block picked up the ball, broke two tackles and sprinted in for the try of the game under the posts, to rapturous hoots and shouts from the black and gold fans.

Wallis slotted over the easy conversion to stretch Southwold's lead to six points - and that's the way it stayed, with Thetford having to be content with what was a well deserved bonus point.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter