Southern League Premier Division: King’s Lynn Town 4 Histon 2

Action from King's Lynn Town v Histon at The Walks - Lynn's Sam Gaughran goes off injured. Picture:

Action from King's Lynn Town v Histon at The Walks - Lynn's Sam Gaughran goes off injured. Picture: Matthew Usher.

Injuries to key men Sam Gaughran and Michael Clunan took the shine off Lynn's latest home rout.

For the second Walks game in a row the Linnets scored four times but also ended the match with just 10 players on the pitch. Against Wroxham it was Kern Miller who limped off to leave the hosts short and last night it was vital midfielder Clunan whose night ended early – presumably as a precaution.

The same couldn't be said about captain and centre-back Gaughran after he pulled up sharply about 20 minutes from time with a painfully pulled hamstring. The concern on Gary Setchell's face was clear for all to see as his summer signing from Lowestoft Town walked by him gingerly in search of the treatment table. But at least the Linnets' boss had something to be happy about in terms of the result as goals from Liam Hurst, Jordan Yong and a Sam Mulready brace settled an end-to-end derby between two of the Southern League top-flight's most inconsistent sides.

Lynn had started the clash at breakneck speed as they looked to deliver an immediate reponse to Saturday's disappointing reverse at Redditch United. Yet it was Histon who went closest when Ryan Auger clipped the crossbar from distance.

A good move down the left involving the hosts' Jack Friend and Yong soon teed up Toby Hilliard but his drive was deflected wide. Debutant Matty Castellan had an even better chance but the defender skied his half volley from 10 yards.

The chances kept on coming with the Stutes' Josh Oyinson and Jordan Nicholson going close. The latter wasted the best opportunity when he curled wide after sidestepping Mulready following another electric counter. Hilliard worked Denzel Gerrar – who was rescued by covering team-mate Danny Rumens on the line as he failed to push the ball over the bar – while Ryan Fryatt went even closer by planting a 25-yard drive into the face of the upright.

Mulready thought he had broken the deadlock only to watch in amazement as Gerrar flew to his right and tipped a curler round the post. But Ives finally did provide some end product when he latched onto Auger's delicious through ball and finished cooly after putting Alex Street on the seat of his pants.

Most Read

Town's response was instant as three minutes later right-back Fryatt's centre was palmed into the path of Mulready and he did the rest.

The opportunities and pace of the game slowed to a near shuddering halt during a second period which was soured by skipper Gaughran being forced to apply the handbrake sharply while in pursuit of Oyinson.

However, home smiles returned in the final quarter when two goals in quick succession from Hurst and Yong helped secure a victory – which was wrapped up by Mulready's tap in long before Matthew Meacher cracked an injury-time consolation.

Lynn (4-4-2): Street, R Fryatt, Gaughran (Hurst, 56), Castellan, Yong, Bridges, Clunan, Hilliard, Friend (Zielonka, 69), Mulready, Speight (Stevenson, 46). Subs not used: L Fryatt, Frohawk

Histon (4-4-2): Gerrar, Trotman, Key, Rumens, Tilney, Freeman (Meacher, 79), McGowan, Auger, Nicholson, Oyinson (Relizani, 60), Ives. Subs not used: White, Fulcher, Utteridge