Southern League Premier Division: King’s Lynn Town 1 St Neots Town 1

Lynn's (2) Ryan Fryatt went close with this header. Picture: Ian Burt

Lynn's (2) Ryan Fryatt went close with this header. Picture: Ian Burt - Credit: Ian Burt

King's Lynn Town's play-off pursuit was all but ended after relegation-threatened St Neots came from behind to claim a share of the spoils at The Walks.

Toby Hilliard's first goal since the back end of February was cancelled out by Drew Roberts' sublime free-kick in the second half as Lynn, needing seven wins from as many games to realistically have a chance of reaching the top five, were only able to pick up a point in their chase.

The Linnets' starting line-up showed two changes from the one which suffered a 2-0 defeat at Chesham United on Saturday.

Youngster Liam Fryatt came into the team at the expense of Kern Miller, while Hilliard – often used from the bench of late – got the nod ahead of Liam Hurst.

Miller, recovering from a virus, was named on the bench along with Hurst, while midfielder Michael Clunan sat out the second of his two-match suspension.

You may also want to watch:

St Neots named Remy Gordon – son of Norwich City legend Dale – in their starting XI after recently returning to fitness following a prolonged spell on the sidelines with a broken leg.

Lynn should have taken the lead inside three minutes when David Bridges picked out Sam Mulready with a raking pass, but the forward side-footed his effort wide with just the goalkeeper to beat.

Most Read

The hosts continued on top and shortly after Ryan Fryatt saw his header from a Stevenson free-kick scrambled off the line by Saints' skipper Adam Tann.

Visiting goalkeeper Alex Archer was then at full-stretch to keep out another Stevenson set-piece as Lynn remained camped in the St Neots' half in the opening quarter of the contest.

The Walks outfit deservedly took the lead in the 17th minute when Stevenson's deep delivery was met by the scalp of Ryan Fryatt before being turned in by Hilliard at the far post.

Twelve minutes before the interval Hilliard's sweetly-struck volley struck the base of the posts before Archer gratefully clutched on to Bridges' follow-up effort.

St Neots offered very little going forward in the opening 45 minutes with a Gordon free-kick the closest they came to troubling Alex Street between the home posts.

The visitors stepped up their efforts after the break with Remy's shot flashing wide of the target six minutes after the restart.

Bridges fired over a neat pullback from Liam Fryatt before Lynn were made to pay two minutes later when Roberts curled his free-kick over the wall and past a stranded Street.

The visitors should have sealed victory in the final 20 minutes.

Roberts blazed over from six yards with the goal at his mercy, while substitute Jordan Brown hit the post as the Saints threatened to go in front.

Matthew Castellan spurned a late opportunity for the hosts and Stevenson forced Archer into a late save, but in truth Lynn were poor after the break.

King's Lynn Town: Street, R. Fryatt, Yong, Gaughran, Castellan, L. Fryatt, Hilliard (Hurst 77), Stevenson, Mulready (Zielonka 69), Sands, Bridges.

Goal: Hilliard (17).

Bookings: None.

St Neots Town: Archer, Casey, Longdon, Tann, Ward, Burns, Schiavi (Kelly 66), Clarke, Clark (Brown), Roberts (Ofusu 89), Gordon.

Goal: Roberts (65).

Bookings: Ward.

Referee: Mr M. Holmes (Ely).

Attendance: 354.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus