Sophie McKinna delighted to finish seventh in shot put final at European Athletics Championship
- Credit: AP
Sophie McKinna confirmed her status as the British number one as she finished as the top Briton in seventh place in the shot put at the European Athletics Championships in Berlin.
The 23-year-old Great Yarmouth & District AC star produced a throw of 17.69m in the sixth round to take seventh spot ahead of team-mate Amelia Strickler, who finished 10th with a throw of 17.15m.
In her first senior competition representing her country, the former Lynn Grove High School pupil was delighted with her performance.
'I knew all my throws were pretty close to my PB – that was probably one of the most consistent series of throws that I've had,' she said. 'It puts me in a great position going forward and hopefully I will make more teams like this going forward.'
Poland's Paulina Guba took the gold medal with a throw of 19.33m ahead of home favourite Christina Schwanitz (19.19m). Belarus' Allona Dubitskaya was third with 18.81m.
You may also want to watch:
McKinna is determined to put in the hard work this winter in a bid to close the gap on her competitors.
'We will get straight back into winter training and I'll hopefully get the hard work in and catch some of these girls up,' she added.
- 1 'Too close to home': Neighbours' shock as body found at Mousehold Heath
- 2 Which? warning to avoid sun cream brand for children
- 3 Chicken restaurant closes 'due to unforeseen circumstances'
- 4 Lifeboat crew rescues three girls out to sea on lilos
- 5 Poultry company owner says food industry is at 'crisis point'
- 6 New beauty salon and massage rooms open at country club
- 7 What are the top 10 new shops opening in Norwich?
- 8 Noise investigation launched after works leave houses 'tremoring'
- 9 'Like an invasion' - locals speak out over five-day festival
- 10 'Cold and desolate' - Anne Robinson's Countdown jibe at Norfolk