Solihull Moors 2 Lowestoft Town 1 – Battling Trawlerboys are scrapping for survival

Danny Lewis of Solihull Moors FC saves from Jake Reed of Lowestoft Town during the National League N

Danny Lewis of Solihull Moors FC saves from Jake Reed of Lowestoft Town during the National League North match at Damson Park, Solihull. Picture by Daniel Hambury/Focus Images Ltd - Credit: Daniel Hambury/Focus Images Ltd

The record books might show a third straight defeat for Lowestoft but that hardly tells the story of a battling fightback from Ady Gallagher's side that had the league leaders hanging on at the end.

Solihull deservedly led at the interval and then doubled their advantage with a goal just 26 seconds into the second half.

But rather than fold under the might of the runaway leaders – this win took the Moors nine points clear – the Trawlerboys steadied the ship and dominated the second-half chances, with Danny Crow's goal boosting their search for vital points.

In fact, it was the visitors who created the better of the early chances when, on 15 minutes, Chris Henderson's 25-yard effort had to be turned around the post by the diving Danny Lewis in the Solihull goal.

Three minutes later the Midlanders took the lead. Michael Nottingham, a thorn in Lowestoft's side throughout the first half, picked out giant defender Liam Daly, who was still lurking in the box from an earlier corner, and the centre half steered his header into the top right-hand corner.

You may also want to watch:

In truth, the Moors should have added to their tally in a one-sided first half. Nottingham placed a shot just the wrong side of the woodwork as the Town defence failed to deal with a long throw before Ben Killip tipped a Brown header over the bar.

Then, two minutes before the break, the Lowestoft keeper pulled off an excellent save to keep out Jack Byrne's low drive from the edge of the area.

Most Read

In a bid to quell the dangerous Nottingham, Gallagher reshuffled his side for the start of the second half with the introduction of Shaun Bammant.

But even though his passage down the right was blocked, the Solihull wing-back still proved influential when a marauding run through the middle straight from the restart caught the visitors asleep and when the ball ended up at the feet of Akwasi Asante, the powerful striker made no mistake from eight yards.

The home side went close to a third when Brown just failed to get a toe on Asante's ball across the face of goal, but the remainder of the half belonged to the Trawlerboys.

With Henderson and Andrew Fisk taking hold of midfield they started to ask questions of the normally rock-solid Solihull defence. Just shy of the hour, Henderson had a shot blocked in front of goal and, moments later, Bammant lifted a shot over the target.

The pressure was finally rewarded on 63 minutes when Fisk floated a ball into the area which Moors defender Gavin Cowan tried to head back to his keeper only for Crow to pounce and produce a cool finish.

Still the visitors pushed in search of an equaliser, but the towering Moors back three of Daly, Cowan and Theo Streete kept them at bay with late appeals for a penalty for handball being waved away by the officials.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus